Bee Hind Leg Rub

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Bee Hind Leg Rub

Unread post by Countryboy »

I remember seeing something on Bee-L some time ago about a guy talking about bees rubbing their hind legs like they were itchy. I think he said it was a CCD symptom, and it sticks in my mind that he said Vitamin C is his cure.

It got up to 60 today, and there was good flight activity. I noticed a couple bees with deformed wings walking around on the landing boards. One bee in particular with DWV would arch her abdomen up, and rub her back legs together vigorously. She would walk for an inch or two on the landing board, and then arch her abdomen and rub her back legs together for a minute. I watched her do this for 5 minutes or so. I did not see any other bees doing this behavior.

I don't treat for mites, so I wonder if this leg rubbing is associated with varroa, since the particular bee I saw doing it had badly deformed wings.

I will keep an eye on this hive to see if they do a CCD crash or not. I didn't have my smoker with me, so I didn't inspect the hive today. (The yard is at a relative's and since I was already there, I walked out to watch flight activity.)
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Bee Hind Leg Rub

Unread post by Allen Dick »

You can search BEE-L for posts by dthompson <dthompson@NEXUSISP.COM> and read all about it.

With any luck, this link will take you there:
http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/wa-L ... 5AC27FE132
Just use dthompson in the "Author's Address" box.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page