Wintering a single

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
hak877
Forum Regular

Wintering a single

Unread post by hak877 »

I made up a nuc with a mated queen in the first days of July which filled out a single deep EPS box nicely, but has too many undrawn frames in the second box for me to winter it as a double (and I don't have drawn comb to give it). Since it will be wintering as a single, I'm wondering if it would be better to leave it where it is (in west Edmonton, Alberta, a few feet away from the parent hive, close to a fence that protects against the winds form the north and west, and with pretty good southern exposure) or to place it on top of my other hive, which is in two EPS boxes with insulated telescoping cover. If stacking on top of the other hive, should I have a solid inner cover between them, or one with a double screened feeder hole to enable air movement between the boxes but no physical contact.
Thanks!
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Re: Wintering a single

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

I've never used EPS, and I've never tried to get a single through Winter, so I can't offer any advice based on experience.