new split acting weird

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
josephvelder

new split acting weird

Unread post by josephvelder »

two weeks ago i picked up two new splits with queens established. i immediately added a deep super to each one as the beekeeper i bought them from suggested. its been two weeks and i noticed one of the hives usually has a good number of bees hanging out on the front of the hive. there is alot of activity in the second super but they have yet to build comb up there. should i add another super to it? also, i gave them some old crystallized honey to feed on since we've had a longer than usual winter and still dont have a large pollen flow. would this help them or hurt them?
Image[/URL]
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: new split acting weird

Unread post by Allen Dick »

You don't say where you are and that has a huge impact on the answers, but generally...

> should i add another super to it?

No. It appears your super is new and probably foundation. In that case don't add more space until they have drawn and filled at least half the combs,

> i gave them some old crystallized honey to feed on since we've had a longer than usual winter and still dont have a large pollen flow. would this help them or hurt them?

Hard to say. Assuming it is from a healthy hive and not rock hard, it will be beneficial. In any case it will be most helpful if you have scratched the cappings and placed it touching or in the cluster.

It appears you have entrance feeders. They can work, but also can attract robbing if there are strong hives nearby or starvation if the weather turns nasty. (The combs of feed honey should prevent that).
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page