Mobile App - Varroa detection

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
BartekziBees

Mobile App - Varroa detection

Unread post by BartekziBees »

Hi,

I want to introduce you to ziBees. A free smartphone application that uses artificial intelligence to improve the process of managing an apiary.

We analyse pictures of the hive frames and detect the number of the bees in the picture and the number of bees with varroa mites. In the future, we want to detect other important elements.

We want to know your opinion about the application. Your involvement can contribute to the introduction of new functionalities in the future.

In April we are starting closed beta tests. We want to test the application and collect pictures of hive frames, to constantly improve the algorithm.

You can sign up for beta tests by visiting our website www.zibees.co or directly via the link: http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/zibees/
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Re: Mobile App - Varroa detection

Unread post by Countryboy »

We want to know your opinion about the application.
Absolute garbage, and I wouldn't invest a single dollar into the enterprise.
A free smartphone application that uses artificial intelligence to improve the process of managing an apiary.
How can it improve management? What you have described is a step backwards in management. Doing things worse is not an improvement.
We analyse pictures of the hive frames and detect the number of the bees in the picture and the number of bees with varroa mites.
And what will this information tell you that has any value in improving management of an apiary? Nothing?

How do you plan to detect mites in capped brood, which is where most of the mites are?

In the time a beekeeper takes pictures of all the frames, they could have done an effective test for varroa.
Your involvement can contribute to the introduction of new functionalities in the future.
I would suggest learning what is worthwhile, and what is not. A beekeeper needs to be physically in the hive, and know what they are dealing with. A smartphone app isn't going to help them with pests or diseases in the hive.

Now maybe if you made an app where a beekeeper recorded what they had done at each beeyard....never mind, even that isn't a good idea. Why? Because it involves a smartphone. For some reason you can't use a smartphone while wearing bee gloves, and I surely am not going to handle my phone while my hands are covered with honey or propolis or whatever. Personally, I do not carry a cell phone on me while I am in beeyards. The phone stays in the truck.

Forget the idea of using phones in apiaries. That's my 2 cents.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Don't let Brian discourage you. Your app may not suit him, or me for that matter, but it could well be a start in the right direction and something someone somewhere is looking for.

Please keep us informed as you progress.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

I have to agree with Countryboy. This seems highly impractical, at best, and of little value for someone with experience. It seems to be aimed at people who have little or no experience and the website promises things that it seems doubtful can be delivered.

Frankly, this screams "scam" to me. I spent 10 years investigating stock frauds, this looks and smells bad to me, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole and there is no way I would give them any of my personal information.
garry
Forum Regular

Unread post by garry »

I think this has promise, I'd be happy if they would count mites on the boards.