planning for next season

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
plumeja

planning for next season

Unread post by plumeja »

Hi everyone out there.
I have been trying to do my homework and reading as much as i can on line along with watching as many videos as possible to get ready for next season. First a bit of info on me i guess. I live in calgary alberta with not a large but far size yard for the city. I have been in contact with allen about buying hives and bees about a year ago. Ill be going that route, it seems the best for me as a newbie.
Now i have a few questions about the esp hives. Where can you get more of these ie supers or deeps? I have had a look around the web and cant find them.
Do regular frames fit in these hives? I just thinking all of this just in case i have to get new or more parts.
Now a question of placement. My back yard doesnt really touch any of the neighbors property which will be good. The corner i want to place the hive has a lilac tree to help direct their flight up and away from where the family will be hanging out, i hope. Here is the question how far is a good distance to have a table or fire pit from the hive. Im tring to figure if i really have enough room or not in the yard.
I know that i will have a bunch more questions but this is all i can think of right now
thanks for any and all help
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Re: planning for next season

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

Here is just one source:

http://www.modernbeekeepingusa.com/poly ... rene-hives

If you google "eps hive" you will get many,many results.

I don't use these things so I have no recommendations as to the use of them, or particular manufacturers. They do seem to me to be a bit on the expensive side, compared to wood, but if you are only going to be having a couple of hives then maybe that isn't a big consideration for you.

Regular frames should fit the boxes I linked, so no issues there.

As far as distance in the yard, if the lilac tree is between the hive and the gathering area, and the hive entrance is facing away, 30 feet should be enough distance. You can certainly go more if you have the room, or less if the family is comfortable with the bees. I often observe hives standing close enough to touch them, with no issues as long as I'm not in the direct flight path...they like as direct a route as possible, so if you get in the way they will buzz pretty close and even bounce off you (they get a little clumsy when fully loaded).

The only time this might not be enough distance is if they get seriously disturbed- if you have predators that might bother them, or if you happen to kill a bunch while inspecting*. In those cases, they can remain perturbed for a few days and need to be given a wider berth.

(*) I was inspecting some hives in August one year, and one booming hive was just so loaded with bees that it was impossible to put it back together without them getting in the way. My wife was trying to brush them while I was holding a full deep chest high, she just couldn't get them clear and after a while I just couldn't hold the box up any longer. I finally just put the box in place, and crushed a bunch of bees...they were not at all happy.

After that, I needed some water and a smoke, and to rest a bit, so we retreated some distance and sat down. I still had one more hive to inspect. After a bit, I decided to go and put some of the stuff I was going to need next to the last hive, without bothering to suit up again just yet. Mistake, -big- mistake. The last hive was located just at the tree-line, and I had to walk right past the one that had got so disturbed, within about 10 or 15 feet. They were on me like flies on a dog turd...and no matter how fast or how far you run, you just can't escape the ones that are already tangled in your hair and stinging your head.

My wife thought it was pretty funny, watching me sprint across the field until my long, gangly legs got tripped-up on something or other and I went tumbling.
Kens
Forum Regular

Unread post by Kens »

http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/files/Beaver.htm

Your source for the eps boxes and yes 10 frames fit in box.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Post by Kens » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:30 am

I love these boxes and I will never go back to wood. No wrapping, no unwrapping and I believe the bees do better in them. I did have wood and EPS hives side by side for a year just to see which was/is better and I think EPS is a clear winner. They cost about 50% more (about $7.00 CND) but are very sturdy and virtually "0" maintenance.

The worst thing that I can say is "shipping is very expensive" because the boxes are one piece and don't break down for shipping.
plumeja

Unread post by plumeja »

Charlie wrote:
Post by Kens » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:30 am

I love these boxes and I will never go back to wood. No wrapping, no unwrapping and I believe the bees do better in them. I did have wood and EPS hives side by side for a year just to see which was/is better and I think EPS is a clear winner. They cost about 50% more (about $7.00 CND) but are very sturdy and virtually "0" maintenance.

The worst thing that I can say is "shipping is very expensive" because the boxes are one piece and don't break down for shipping.

About what is the price. I might be missing something on their sire but I don't seem to see one.

And thanks for all the help guus
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Yes. They don't really cater to small orders, but the price is about $25 Canadian +/- plus shipping, and as Ken says, shipping is the killer.

There are other EPS boxes. Not as good IMO, but still great, and they knock down for shipping.

BeeMax -- http://www.betterbee.com/beemax-hive-eq ... e-body.asp

I have a bunch of them and they have lasted over ten years. The corners are weak, but I used the wrong glue (mea culpa). Nonetheless, most won't notice if the boxes are handled with care,
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page