Brood box configuration

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
Kens
Forum Regular

Brood box configuration

Unread post by Kens »

I wintered a hive with two medium boxes above one deep brood box. Hive looks good as of now. I want to replace the two medium boxes with deep boxes. What is the best way to do that?
Colino
Forum Regular

Re: Brood box configuration

Unread post by Colino »

I've never done it because I've only ever run deeps but the easiest way might be, when weather permits, shake the bees off the medium frames into the deep, making sure you get the queen. Then put on an Excluder and put your mediums back on top the nurse bees should migrate back up to tend the brood. Wait until all the brood is hatched out and add another deep underneath if they get too crowded. At that point you could let them fill the mediums with honey and extract it. Anybody else want to contribute?
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

You didn't say where you are, so make sure your decisions are done at the right time in the season. if you do manipulations at the wrong time, (like now, if you are in winter locations) you could do a lot of damage to the bees.

Which box are the bees in?

If the bees are in the mediums, you could wait until the weather has settled, and then put the deep box above the mediums. Once the queen and bees have moved into the deep box, you can either remove one or both mediums (if the bees are out of them) and add one deep box above the present deep box. Do not do this until the weather has settled and it is warmer. Once the bees have drawn out the frames in the new deep box, you can add the third deep box. This will likely be midsummer or so.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Kens
Forum Regular

Unread post by Kens »

I'm NE of Calgary, even though it's been a warm winter and very warm spring I haven't opened the hive yet. Forecast is calling for another warm week, I'm going to pick a warm and sunny day to add pollen patties soon and will know more about where they are then.

Thanks for the advice.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Ideally the deep you are adding would be full of drawn brood comb assuming you want a brood box.