Windows 10

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Windows 10

Unread post by Charlie »

I have been doing some digging on Windows 10 since the last email that Allen posted on his blog (Tuesday July 21st 2015) and I have found out the following:
From my supplier he tells me.
1. You no longer can control when updates are applied unless you buy the enterprise version
2. The pricing for retail will be between $150 and $200 depending on circumstances and version
3. He has also heard rumors of a subscription, but has not heard anything officially.
From one of my geek buddies who is probably the only guy on the planet that I would trust and take his word on computer stuff at the same value as myself without testing it.
1. He is played with the beta versions and sees no compelling reason to upgrade.
2. He says he would recommend upgrading if you have a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and/or are buying new hardware.
Again backup makes sense just so you can ensure you can get back to your starting point, there are lots of disk cloning software's available for free, just to make sure you can get back to square one. I would recommend an off-line disk cloning, which means you need to download and build a CD/DVD and boot off of it. I find off-line disk cloning better even though it is a bigger pain to do. I’m not sure that I would trust Windows backup for this type of upgrade. After having lunch with my buddy and discussing Windows 10 I'm considering that Microsoft is given it away for the first year just to get market saturation because without giving it away, it could be in non-event. They may want to have bragging rights as to Windows 10 has bla bla percentage of market share for marketing purposes. I believe most intelligent people would believe that it's anybody's guess as to what Microsoft is up to and until all the cards are on the table we will not know.

I can tell you for sure that I will be buying a 32-bit version of Windows 10 this week and upgrading a notebook to see how that goes. I am choosing 32-bit over 64 because I need to test the 16-bit subsystem in DOS which apparently does not work in the 64 bit of Windows 10. The notebook will never have more than four gigs of RAM and quite frankly I never use more than four gigs of RAM anyway because the amount of processes it takes to eat six gig of RAM will literally Bog your computer down just from servicing all the interrupts.

Again I will reiterate there is entire year to do this upgrade for free and no compelling reason to be one of the first guys out of the starting blocks just to be on the bleeding edge. Many years ago geeks would say never upgrade/never buy .0 version always wait for the .1 version, I find that advice still compelling today. If you consider.
1. Vista was a piece of crap
2. Windows 7 was good right out-of-the-box. Behind the scenes we all knew it was a bug fix Vista that was rebranded and the build numbers didn't lie.
3. Windows 8 was a piece of crap
4. Windows 8.1 was a better piece of crap
5. Windows 10 is unknown.
Considering Microsoft has had one home run in the last four trips to the plate statistically is a 25% chance that Windows 10 will be good but the other side of that argument is there long overdue to hit something out of the park.

I'll let you know how my upgrade goes next week. Please keep in mind that I have no means for testing all the drivers and every single piece of hardware but I will be testing for good points and bad points.

The last piece of advice would be not to buy into all the columnists, because they get paid for being on the Microsoft bandwagon. Microsoft will not advertise in any magazine that is giving them bad reviews. So based on “following the money” magazine reviews are somewhat suspect, that does not mean they’re wrong, just highly suspicious.

PS: I don't wish to sound so jaded because I'm an optimist at heart but I've been burned too many times over the last couple of decades to be anything other than cautious.
Colino
Forum Regular

Re: Windows 10

Unread post by Colino »

Thanks for your learned analysis Charlie, it's appreciated very much. I'm still running Vista on my old Dell and have never had a problem but on my old desk top Vista was a piece of crap right out of the box.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

You no longer can control when updates are applied unless you buy the enterprise version
That is the deal-breaker for me. I run my weather station on a Windoze machine and shortly after I went a way my WS went offline. It was a Tuesday and I knew what happened. Nothing I could do from a distance.

I suppose I could use Winprivacy or some such app to block the updater?
He has also heard rumors of a subscription, but has not heard anything officially.
I don't consider that entirely unreasonable, but switching after the changeup is a bit like bait-and-switch. Straight up it is unethical and illegal, so they would have to have some way to tease people forward onto that path, probably by getting them into the chute with no room to turn around and closing the exits. (Think cattle).
He is played with the beta versions and sees no compelling reason to upgrade. He says he would recommend upgrading if you have a Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 and/or are buying new hardware.
I use Win 7 on the Machine I got from you in spite of the fact that it had W8 on disk as well. Although I am sure 8 is an advance over 7 under the hood, the GUI and other little assumptions about what I want put me off even after I added back the start menu and suppressed the tiles *hit.
Again backup makes sense just so you can ensure you can get back to your starting point, there are lots of disk cloning software's available for free, just to make sure you can get back to square one.
I am getting a 500 GB SSD and will be doing some such backup work anyhow, but I think for now i am going to back out of the 'upgrade' for my working devices and see how it goes on my old netbook. :|
I’m not sure that I would trust Windows backup for this type of upgrade.

Amen.
After having lunch with my buddy and discussing Windows 10 I'm considering that Microsoft is given it away for the first year just to get market saturation because without giving it away, it could be in non-event.
I recall that in regard piracy, Bill Gates said, "If they are going to steal software, I rather they steal mine."

He understood that mined share is eve more important than market share. Moreover, software is unique in that after the first copy is out, each additional copy has a marginal cost of zero. If people can't or won't pay anyhow, there is no loss if they steal it -- as long as that 'theft' does not stop others from paying. What is most important is to fully occupy ('own') the entire niche, squeezing out potential competitors.

That is how he killed O/S2 and managed to kill off the vastly superior product with an inferior O/S (Windoze 3). Big Blue just did not care enough and Billy needed to win.
I can tell you for sure that I will be buying a 32-bit version of Windows 10 this week and upgrading a notebook to see how that goes.
Buying?

Hmm. I thought my netbook got okayed for 10. I seldom use it and will have to check.
Again I will reiterate there is entire year to do this upgrade for free and no compelling reason to be one of the first guys out of the starting blocks just to be on the bleeding edge.
And I thank you for that. I'm going to cancel two upgrades.
Many years ago geeks would say never upgrade/never buy .0 version always wait for the .1 version, I find that advice still compelling today. If you consider.
Actually, I usually went for the upgrade on at least one machine and had really good luck.
Vista was a piece of crap
Worked for me. Still does on an old desktop.
Windows 7 was good right out-of-the-box.
Best consumer M$ O/S I have used.
Windows 8 was a piece of crap. Windows 8.1 was a better piece of crap
A sad miscalculation. Note to M$: If a GUI ain't broke, don't fix it.
Considering Microsoft has had one home run in the last four trips to the plate statistically is a 25% chance that Windows 10 will be good
Thanks for that.
but the other side of that argument is there long overdue to hit something out of the park.
Another Edsel, anyone?
I'll let you know how my upgrade goes next week. Please keep in mind that I have no means for testing all the drivers and every single piece of hardware but I will be testing for good points and bad points.
Thanks. I won't be in a rush.
The last piece of advice would be not to buy into all the columnists
I'm sure it will be all rainbows and unicorns in the press -- until reality sets in.

On reconsideration, I think I will let it download on one machine and not install it. I wonder, though, if it will nag and eventually go ahead, then reboot.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

by Allen Dick » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:33 am Buying?
Unfortunately yes. For a couple of reasons:

installing from a DVD is sometimes different than doing an upgrade and I need to know what those differences are.

Given my occupation I can't afford to be caught with pirated software. Not only that but these days the patches/hacks to give you a pirated version of Windows is more likely to give you a virus or Trojan or some other piece of malware.

Personally I don't have a problem if somebody is pirating something for personal use or just fooling around and I have learned a lot of software packages like that. I've also learned that a lot of the software isn't worth buying. However at the end of the day if you are going to use the software to make money than the company deserves to be paid, simply because you're making money off their efforts and products.

Also consider when I say something is a piece of crap I am talking in general over hundreds of machines. I've personally seen a couple of dozen Vista machines that run as smooth as silk but in general it was more problematic than XP or Windows 7. Windows 8 near as I can tell is a straight up bad GUI change.

I'm off to see how long the line are for Windows 10
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

All,
I just got Windows 10 running on an old notebook that was rock solid with Windows 7 64-bit. My initial reaction to Windows 10 is it's not as good as advertised. It has blue screened on me twice in 20 minutes once while setting up mail and once while looking at Solitaire... Didn't even get to play.

It does consume a lot more resources than Windows 7.

I also have concerns about the amount of privacy, Microsoft seems to want you to send them an awful lot of data. As a side note and this is me guessing they are tying everything together MSN, Bing and what you're doing in Windows 10 and sending it back to the mothership. It now appears as if we have two big Brothers, Google and Microsoft. I may need to invest into a privacy application so I can control what gets sent out to Internet. Of course if you don't care about your privacy this is moot.

Microsoft also continues the Windows 8 theme of putting marketing crap front and center. Fortunately it's easy to get rid of.

Windows 10 has used the new compilers so it's going to have the ultramodern look and feel and they have of use code from the 2012 servers. So the task manager actually functions the way it should have all along.

These findings are all very early and preliminary and while negative overall I would say it's better than Windows 8 but I'm not sure if it's as good as Windows 7 just yet, it's certainly is not better yet. I'm very glad I didn't upgrade my main desktop.

On the bright side it appears as if they've taken parts of the Outlook code and built-in mail, calendar, and tasks as separate apps. These apps look like they'd be quite respectable unusable for the average person. Although I did have to use the advanced features to get my connection to an exchange server and it hasn't given me email yet but on the surface it looks like a respectable email program.

On the surface I have to agree with my buddy there is no compelling reason to upgrade yet.

I wish to reserve the right to change my opinion on any of the above points at some point in the future. Windows 10 maybe like XP in that it needs a bunch of patching to get rid of the bugs.

Over the weekend I'll give you screenshots and how to download it to a stick to install from another good things that I have found.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Good to know. I'll cancel the upgrades.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

I need to make a correction. The line that said "These apps look like they'd be quite respectable unusable for the average person. Should actually read

"These apps look like they'd be quite respectable and usable for the average person."

I was using voice dictation and did not read it close enough before posting. Apparently "and usable" was heard as "unusable"

While I have no trouble maligning Microsoft at all, I only wish to malign them when it is due. The new mail calendar and tasks do look very respectable and I don't believe for a second that the average user would have any complaints with them.

Sorry for any confusion
Charlie

PS: Just because I'm experiencing difficulty on this particular notebook does not mean that all people will experience issues. I did the end up upgrading and did not do a clean install. I will do a clean install and see if I experienced the same difficulties. However considering it blue screened with Microsoft programs and not a lot else running I'm expecting issues with a clean install also.

As "Colino" Pointed out Vista ran very well on one machine and did not run very well one another. Which may be the case here.

If you do wish to go ahead, my advice would be: backup backup and backup and test the backups before proceeding.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Updating to Win10: Definitely a mixed experience | Series | Windows Secrets
http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/up ... xperience/

Windows 10 | SuperSite for Windows
http://winsupersite.com/windows/windows-10

Your crash course in Windows 10, from installation to personalization
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/your ... nalization
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

I wish I could say Windows 10 was the greatest thing since sliced bread but I can't. Windows 7 and XP are both better and more stable/usable than Windows 10. It just occurred to me that Microsoft may have released Windows 10 in the middle of the summer sort of as a soft release because a lot of people will be on holidays and are thinking about something other than upgrades. This would give Microsoft a chance to work out any bugs before the cold weather hits when people don't mind sitting at their computer. It might be their way of avoiding a bunch of bad press like Windows 8. At any rate here's a PDF with screenshots and links in it. This is just my experience with it and you may not have the same experience.

I know I won't be doing anything serious with it until after my bees are wrapped for the winter.
I believe Windows needs another six months for bug fixes.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

More Windows 10 Resources

How to Disable Bing in the Windows 10 Start Menu
http://www.howtogeek.com/224159/how-to- ... tart-menu/

30 Ways Your Windows 10 Computer Phones Home to Microsoft
http://www.howtogeek.com/224616/30-ways ... ones-home/

How to Disable Bing in the Windows 10 Start Menu
http://www.howtogeek.com/224159/how-to- ... tart-menu/

I use this: WinPatrol – WinPrivacy
https://www.winpatrol.com/winprivacy/
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I got an email this morning from a regular correspondent:
I couldn't sleep, got up at 3:30 and turned on my computer and it says "Do you want to schedule your Windows 10 up date"? I think schedule, sure I will schedule it a few weeks from now so I click yes. While when they say schedule they mean they are doing it now! I now have 10, I hate changes..... it is very different.
Interesting. I cancelled my reservations after Charlie's initial warning.

My son is a Microsoft SharePoint consultant and developer, though, and is here visiting. We downloaded W10 on Day One and he has installed it on one of his machines without apparent issues, but we have not really discussed it beyond his comment that Edge is an non-starter at this point. M$ Internet Exploder is embedded deep into many many of his corporate clients' information systems and any changes won't happen overnight. Consumers may find it acceptable, however.

I have ISOs for both the Home and Pro versions of W10 on hand now, but have no intention of installing either except on a test machine when and if I have nothing better to do. My netbook that I intend to have go through the scheduled upgrade process seems to have other issues. It goes to sleep and never wakes up. I have not had the time of inclination to sit and watch it long enough to fix that.

I also have fully paid copies of W8, but run W7 on my two main machines and have no intention of using W8 after two bad experiences with it. Although W8 has some improvements in the base code over W7, runs better, and can be made to look like 7, the GUI changes are a deal-breaker for me.

I suppose at some point I may have to capitulate, especially when I need a new machine, but for now W7 does what I want, and even a 'free' upgrade will cost me in time, surprises and lost features.

I'll be interested to hear your experience over time, and, I understand that the installation is reversible. There is reportedly a way to go back to where you were.

From http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/how- ... 10-upgrade
Let's face it - Windows 10 may not be for everyone. It might be incompatible software, hardware or any other number of things that is not liked but bottom line is they want to go back to the operating system they upgraded from. Well that is easy enough to do in Windows 10 and you have up to 30 days to make the decision to revert back to your former OS. Once those 30 days are up then you will be forced to reinstall your old OS from scratch.
Emphasis added. In my experience, the sooner you reverse any changes the more likely the process is to be trouble-free. Once you begin to use the new OS, the greater the chance that something will get munged in the reverse process and if you wait a month, then you will be back one month. Will the email received offline in then interim be compatible with your former reader especially if you you tried the new mail program? Don't know. Just wondering.

This just in: Windows 10: Good, but is it good enough? - Windows Secrets
http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/wi ... od-enough/

One notable quote:
... there are many other Win10 features — many new to the OS — that are not completely baked.
IMO, Charlie is right. Stay away for now.
Forum owner/janitor
---
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

I had windows 10 on my computer for around 2 days. I was having a hard time finding my way around, it is totally different and they renamed everything. I thought I would try it and see if I could get used to it. At first the only bug was every time I shut down the computer the number lock on my keyboard would shut off and I have numbers in my user log in so it was irritating to have to turn it on every time I started the computer but no big deal. Then the start menu would not work, every time I clicked it I would get an error and it would make me log into my user account again. So I tried shutting it down, had to push the power button on the computer since you need the start menu to get to shut down, but that didn't fix a thing so I am back to windows 7. The restore went very easy and fast compared to installing 10.

They have some issues to fix before I will try it again. My son put it on his computer and likes it, so far no issues.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Can anyone think of a good reason to 'upgrade' a perfectly good working Windows 7 computer to W10, other than W10 is free? I can't.

Maybe W10 is free for a good reason.

Although the best things in life are free, all free things are not necessarily the best.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

I went looking for reasons to upgrade to Windows 10, and this article from PC World Is pretty typical of what you will find out there.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2874400/ ... ml#slide12

For the most part Windows 10 and the marketing around it boils down to this simple statement "Much to do about nothing"

The single best feature over Windows 7 is the backup choices, this also assumes they work as advertised as I have not personally tried them.

You can have news delivered to your desktop and interrupt you while you're working but flipboard Will do a similar type of function and doesn't interrupt you while you're working. Google alerts will send you all the new articles to your email based on keywords every day. So I'm not sure how news is an improvement over what's already there.

Mail Calendar and Tasks look pretty decent but again people have Outlook or some other application that looks after these. EMClient is a free application for up to two email accounts that seems to be pretty rocksolid and easy to use again no reason to upgrade.

The new "Edge" web browser, I will freely admit that I've never used it other than a cursory poke here and there and I have no desire to. It would be unfair to to malign this application without actually using it however I am more than happy/content with my current choice of browsers being Firefox, Chrome and Ice Weasel. Again no reason to upgrade.

The list goes on like this through all the top features. I cannot think of a single new feature that is not available to a Windows 7 user, although it may be through a third-party app.

Personally for myself I see no reason to jump on the Windows 10 bandwagon. Having said that I will upgrade all of my computers next spring and make sure they're backed up six ways from Sunday (Windows 7 and Windows 10) registered and activated. Then I'll most likely do a restore back to Windows 7 and when Windows 10 is worthy or Windows 7 is no longer an option I'll restore the Windows 10 backup to take advantage of the free upgrade. I am rolling the dice here a bit and banking on Microsoft getting their act together.

However because I like to have more than one iron in the fire, I will also be putting together a system to run Linux as my daily desktop. I currently do use Linux daily for things that I wouldn't trust Microsoft to do and I do see the potential to use it as a daily desktop. It does have all the apps that most people could want or need but I'm unconvinced about the backup and recovery as well as file system tools. These shortfalls may well be my own ignorance but do require better research. At any rate this would be the winter work project, because I'm not going to burn sunshine just to be on the computer.

Sorry Allen I cannot find a compelling reason for you to upgrade. Although it may work better for you on your new laptop over my old laptop. But as far as functionality and features I can't give you anything. I would offer this advice that I received when I was first starting out a quarter-century ago from an old IT guy "if it isn't broken don't Fix it". That advice still works for me today. :D
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

I would offer this advice that I received when I was first starting out a quarter-century ago from an old IT guy "if it isn't broken don't Fix it". That advice still works for me today.
That's a compelling reason to still use XP. (And many businesses still use XP. My bank runs on XP.)

For what I use a computer for, XP does everything I want/need from a computer, and does even more than I want/need.

The last computer I bought a couple years ago was a basic tower from tigerdirect with no OS on it. I installed XP on it.

I've used XP Home and XP Pro, and prefer Pro...but the difference is not enough for me to install XP Pro on the computer I use daily.

With all the different OS's that have came out, I keep asking how the new OS will benefit me over XP. So far, the new bells and whistles features are things I could care less about.

I drive a 20 year old truck with a tape deck and windows you roll up with a hand crank.
I still use a flip phone, and have no desire for a smart phone.
I have a laptop that I never use.
I bought a tablet a couple years ago, and never use it either.

Yes, I'm weird. When I first got a computer 15+ years ago, it was so that I could trade stocks. I don't do Facebook and I don't do online gaming.
The biggest computer improvements I've seen in that 15 years are broadband connection (it beats dialup from an ISP called ECR...Electronic Country Road) and processor speed.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Countryboy.
I wholeheartedly agree with you that XP is a much loved the OS. I personally loved using it. While Windows 7 is slightly different, it's every bit as good as XP. It is unfortunate that I cannot say that about any OS after Windows 7. Hopefully within six months I can change my mind about Windows10. I personally consider security and personal information to be first and foremost, in that it doesn't matter how good the OS is if it's going to leak your personal information to the world, I will consider it a piece of crap.

One of the most overlooked reasons for an upgrade is for the security updates, as long as you're cognizant about the security updates and aware of the implications, go for it. Microsoft doesn't need any more of my money or your money. However you need to be aware of the security, for example two or three days ago a major flaw in Firefox was released to the public, something to do with the PDFs allowing full control or download of your files. I'm sorry I don't remember the details, I just know that I need to upgrade to the latest version of Firefox. Most version's of Internet Explorer has more holes in it than a screened bottom board, in my opinion. I am sure that the Microsoft engineers would argue with me until they're blue in the face but I choose not to use Internet Explorer. I can't tell you if I'm right or wrong, but with nearly a quarter of a century of being a professional geek behind me, I am very comfortable with my decision.

It is not Just the operating system that you need to keep up-to-date but all of the applications, including the antivirus. This is especially true if you're doing online trading.

For example Adobe had their systems hacked a couple of years ago and I wasn't overly surprised that I found my information from the Adobe hack.

My best advice if your online trust no one, and one possible set up bogus accounts to use. I would recommend this regardless of what operating system you choose to use. I guarantee you if you do not protect yourself no one else will.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

One of the most overlooked reasons for an upgrade is for the security updates
That is the major reason why I consider moving to a newer version.

Another is new features. Sometimes what were add-on apps and routines become integrated and are far superior to and better integrated than previously. Examples are networking, wireless, Bluetooth, browsers, and, in fact most of the features we now consider part of a modern O/S. Originally O/Ss were pretty barebones interfaces between software and the processor(s). The original Windows version was not really an O/S as much as a program running on MSDOS. Windows evolved from a pretty sad beginning and there is no way you would want any of the early versions today.

A third reason to upgrade is the refinement of code over time and shifting standards. Our operating systems are written in high level, human friendly languages that are very inefficient in terms of processor use, storage, and speed compared to machine language, and are compiled or interpreted into hex or binary instructions to run the actual processor. The advantage is that people can read these languages, edit them easily, and attach other software to them at easily recognizable and standardized points and know with reasonably certainty what to expect.

Over time, new usage patterns and traffic flows develop and inventions unimagined at the time of original development become as important as or more so than the original functions. This creates problems similar to the problem of retrofitting old buildings or infrastructure for new purposes. Some essential original functions become unneeded or stand in the way of progress. Some may become vulnerabilities to weaknesses or threats that did not exist previously or unable to carry loads. Some may simply be poorly designed in the first place.

Also, unlike a physical structure, these complex logical structures have n-dimensional aspects and multiple capabilities, dependencies, potential connections that are very difficult to completely understand. Memory areas marked out and reserved for program or user operations and content (buffers) may turn out to be accessible to unexpected operations or code injected by interlopers and and pointers may be bypassed, ignored or overwritten in unanticipated ways.

Each line (sentence) of code may have ambiguities or even errors that only become apparent in certain conditions, and there are millions of lines of code. Complexity and chance of error or unintended consequences grow organically with every additional line.

http://www.google.com/cse?&q=how%20many ... gsc.page=1
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/v ... s-of-code/

As programmers work with routines within the system, ways are found to eliminate or streamline instructions and cut out deadwood. Improvements are made in programming and compiling tools, too, and errors eliminated, resulting in need to recompile previous work.

Hardware changes, too, and the software must be adapted to new capabilities while maintaining compatibility with older hardware as well. At some point, however, the cost of backward compatibility becomes too great and some compatibility must be abandoned. Microsoft has, IMO, been amazing in supporting a vast range of current and past hardware.

From time to time, it is necessary to remodel, tear out, or demolish old structures and install new features that either do not fit or fit awkwardly or duplicate old features.

Over the life of an operating system, programmers examine and refine existing code and generate 'patches' which are applied to the systems to meet present needs, sometimes adding new features and sometimes removing or inactivating them or closing windows or structural holes which could let in passers-by or burglars.

Patches are patches, and as with a garment there becomes a time when the garment has more patches than original cloth and has lost much of its shape and attractiveness and may not even fulfill its function well. Replacement is in order.

While I like and occasionally use XP, we are assured that it is not a secure system if connected to today's fast networks, constant probing, and various attacks lurking on the 'net. More modern operating systems use various methods of protecting themselves from assigning buffer space on a shifting basis rater than having fixed addresses and by incorporating data execution prevention, non-administrator accounts with limited permissions, and the annoying but highly effective User Account Control grey screen intercept that pops up when programs attempt to alter the machine.

If a bank is using XP, be sure it is gelded, hog-tied, monitored, and locked down so securely against any changes that their machines would be totally useless and unresponsive for any consumer purpose.

I remember setting up machines for school or kiosk use. If you could alter them, and some school setups allowed limited and mostly cosmetic modifications, the next reboot restored them back to the exact condition they had been set up for. Any software or patches installed were gone.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Adoption of Windows 10

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=Acce ... gws_rd=ssl

People can’t dump Windows 8 fast enough as Windows 10 adoption surges
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/people-t-d ... 01016.html
Millions of PC owners hoping to upgrade to Windows 10 face disappointment as major chipset manufacturers Intel and AMD are delaying, or failing to provide, Windows 10 compatible drivers for their hardware.
Windows 10 Stalls As Intel And AMD Fail To Provide Driver Updates
http://www.inquisitr.com/2321624/window ... r-updates/
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

“the biggest loser looks to be Windows 8.1, which dipped from 16.45 per cent share to 14.93 per cent,” while “Windows 7 went from 54.41per cent to 53.8 per cent and Windows 8 dropped from 3.6 percent to 3.46 percent.”
A blind man could've seen this coming with a cane. If Windows 10 has 3.5% market saturation .6% is from Windows 7 and the rest is from Windows 8, 8.1 and new machines. If I was using Windows 8 or 8.1 I get rid of it too in hopes of something better. The actual real story here is Microsoft's brand-new operating system that they are virtually giving away really is only being adopted by people who hate their current operating system.

I can't believe AMD and Intel are dragging their feet on drivers, puts Microsoft in the same boat as Linux now, imagine that.

However the driver issue does explain my random blue screens of death.

From https://bgr.com/2015/08/11/windows-10-d ... free-apps/
The media player situation on Windows 10 is a bit of a mess, especially when it comes to the ridiculous $15 app Microsoft is attempting to charge customers for in order to watch DVDs. VLC is a far better solution, and it’s free to download from the Windows Store.
This looks to me like the bloom is about ready to fall off the rose, two weeks and the magazines are finding things to slam Microsoft for, amazing.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

From https://bgr.com/2015/08/11/automatic-wi ... boot-loop/
Here is Windows Community user BrettDM’s step-by-step experience: “Downloads, reboot to install. Gets to 30% and reboots. Gets to 59% and reboots. Gets to 59% again and then states something went wrong so uninstalling the update. Wait a few minutes and reboot. Back to login screen. This happens without fail, every single time.”
Microsoft has yet to issue an official response, but it’s unfortunate that the downside of automatic updates has become apparent within days of the launch of Windows 10. If these issues continue to crop up, Microsoft might have to reconsider this questionable policy.
This might be why it's free for the first year.... Everybody will be the beta testers. At least they're not charging us to be the beta testers like they did in Windows 95.

I was really hoping to be very positive on Windows 10.