You Tube Videos

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Colino
Forum Regular

You Tube Videos

Unread post by Colino »

* ...If I ever make a YouTube video, you'll get whiplash watching it, it will be so brutally short, action-packed, and quick moving, and I'll introduce myself at the end in case someone is still watching -- and cares.
Allen I really wish you would reconsider your stance about making You Tube videos. You have so much knowledge that could be expressed through them and shared. No matter what the quality, I'm sure that the information you supply would be a goldmine and more easily interpreted, after all a picture paints a thousand words. All it takes is a hand held camera recording what you do anyway and you don't need to add intros and such. I would be one of the first to subscribe to your You Tube channel.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: You Tube Videos

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I really wish you would reconsider your stance about making You Tube videos.
I have a top line GoPro and also a phone and tablet all of which take excellent videos.

Shooting videos is easy. The difficult part comes in deciding when and where to shoot, then editing

The secret to producing good video is editing, editing, editing, then editing again, then going back and re-shooting the unclear or missing pieces, editing again and overdubbing a meaningful sound track.

Add to that the fact that equipment gets gummy. I have enough trouble with that using my phone for the occasional picture and to answer calls and texts when working bees. And that is when I am using a snack bag to protect it from scuffs, drops into drums of syrup, and general abuse.

And, finally, I have enough trouble remembering to take along a clean water bucket and smoker fuel without having to haul a tripod and camera, too.

Maybe some day...

Maybe.

The reasons I don't watch videos other than professionally made entertainment and a few absolutely necessary illustrative instructional videos (of any quality) are the same reasons I don't make them.

Oh, one more thing. I never know what I am doing until after I've done it.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Oh, one more thing. I never know what I am doing until after I've done it.
That Allen could be a very attractive element in your videos and as for quality, I will take content over quality any time. I would learn more from your badly edited videos than some of the so called professional vids.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

I have a top line GoPro and also a phone and tablet all of which take excellent videos.
Doesn't the GoPro come with a head mount? You could just put it on, go about your beekeeping and talk to your self while working, like all of us old guys do.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Doesn't the GoPro come with a head mount?
Not mine.
You could just put it on, go about your beekeeping and talk to your self while working, like all of us old guys do.
I don't think so, and as I say, editing is the real job. Anyone can shoot video, but it takes sweat to make a video that is worth watching.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

Allen, you need to decide "why" you want to make YouTube videos, and who your intended audience is.

I suspect you are falling into a trap I fall into myself.

When I do YouTube videos, I try to make a video of the quality I would want to watch. That's a mistake, because I am not my target audience.

Like you, I can't stand videos where people just talk because they like the sound of their own voice. They yak and yak and yak, but never (or rarely) say anything of value. I personally would be ashamed to post a video of the quality that I often see on YouTube.

But do you know what's crazy? People LOVE the garbage videos. They don't care about the editing. They don't care about it looking professional. (I assume these same viewers are the same people who love reality TV, which I also consider to be garbage.)

If you want to have successful videos on YouTube, the 2 big things are that you need to be able to connect to your subscribers, and you need to produce videos regularly. That's it. You can have unedited amateur videos of poor quality, spewing gobs of BS, giving bad advice, be incapable of keeping bees alive, etc. and you will be popular if you can connect with people and put out videos regularly.

I'm an INTJ personality. The N means I am idea oriented. About 80% of the population are S types, who are object oriented. I have a difficult time connecting with these people. I can try to edit my videos to make them as professional looking as I can, filled with quality info, etc. and I still have a difficult time connecting with people. I try to make a video that I would want to watch, even though the audience which watches my videos are looking for different things from the videos.

You DO NOT need to edit videos (or minimal editing) on YouTube. People LOVE the reality aspect of unedited videos.

Force yourself to watch a few videos from this guy. Almost 3.5 million total views. He must know what he is talking about, and produce quality videos, right?
https://www.youtube.com/user/fineshooter/videos

He's such a successful commercial beekeeper that he has to resort to begging viewers to give him financial donations.

Personally, I don't know why anyone watches his videos. I can understand people watching a few at first, until they realize the BS. (And I can understand people watching his videos to try to learn tricks for making better videos ourselves...but I have yet to discover why folks like his videos, or how I can successfully incorporate idiocy and stupidity into my videos.) But people can't get enough of his videos. I think he does a great dis-service to beekeeping by spreading pure BS. The quality of many of his videos are so amateurish it isn't funny. Some videos leave you scratching your head wondering what the point of the video was.

Based upon what I have earned by making YouTube videos, I would estimate that he has made a minimum of $6,000-$7,000 (and probably closer to $10K) for the videos.
So you tell me why he produces these videos...
He wants to produce entertaining videos?
He wants to produce education beekeeping videos?
He's a retired "commercial" beekeeper who wants to share his "wisdom"?
He wants to convince every 2 hive hobbyist to pay for his classes so they can become commercial beekeepers like him too?
He wants to show the world how his incredibly slow helpers are actually working at a commercial beekeeping pace?
He just likes to hear himself talk? (And laughs all the way to the bank.)
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Actually, I don't want to make bee videos. Others suggest I do so. Video is not my medium. Too serial and un-indexed. I'm a parallel random access guy.

Since you sent me over to see this guy, I watched the Fat Beeman package installation video and thought it was not too bad. I don't know about the rest of his work, though. The feeding fountain video looked pretty bogus, but was having pauses and I only glanced at it here and there. For some reason, YouTube never runs well here.

Michael Bush was up next and I did not even get to the content as the title page hung on the screen too long and i left. Why do they do that? Who needs a title page? This is not cinema. Give me content, not credits.

Anyhow, if I make a bee video, maybe I'll do like the Fat Beeman and just shoot. Hehehe.

And I'll have to remember to ask for money.
Forum owner/janitor
---