Pollen Patty Recipe

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
prairiegirl

Pollen Patty Recipe

Unread post by prairiegirl »

Dear All:

I am looking for a simple pollen patty recipe. I live in Minnesota and it's time to feed pollen to my bees to get them ready for spring. A friend of mine gave me some BeePro patties, but I'd rather make my own. Help!

Also, I'm relatively new to beekeeping and was wondering whether anyone had ever been able to keep their bees healthy without any of the antibiotics, etc. I have had my hives for almost a full year and have never used chemicals. So far I have seen no signs of foulbrood or mites. My hives are strong (as of last week) and I got a great harvest my first time around last fall. I think I am three miles from anyone else who keeps bees.

Thanks!

Re: Pollen Patty Recipe

Unread post by Guest »

I am looking for a simple pollen patty recipe.

Check out http://www.honeybeeworld.com/misc/pollen/pollensup.htm
Also, I'm relatively new to beekeeping and was wondering whether anyone had ever been able to keep their bees healthy without any of the antibiotics, etc... I think I am three miles from anyone else who keeps bees.!

The secret -- whether you treat prophylactically (preventatively) or not -- is to inspect and/or test regularly for all the potential threats: AFB, EFB, chalkbrood, tracheal mites, and varroa.

allen[/i][/quote]

Unread post by Guest »

Prairegirl, where you live you'll end up having to do something eventually, so when you're in the hives break open some drone cells to check for mites if you haven't the time or inclination to do a more accurate test.
Ian

Unread post by Ian »

>wondering whether anyone had ever been able to keep their bees healthy without any of the antibiotics

I think the day of raising anything without the use of chemical is the day left in the past. There are non chemical treatments out there, but wheather it is feasable, ??? I guess that is up to you to decide. Alot of non chemical hive treaments are discussed on the www.beesource.com fourm. But take it all with a grain of salt.
As Allen stresses, inspect and/or test regularly.

Ian
JA

Unread post by JA »

Obviously, feeding pollen, or a pollen supplement, is beneficial. I do feed some patties in the spring as well as some bee pro to induce their natural foraging instincts. My question is, is there a way, or a recipe, to grind up dried pollen, with some other protein substances (such as you would find in the patties) that you can feed as you would bee pro? Pollen patties take up a lot of time and a great deal of effort in the process.
~Jim
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Global Patties - http;//www.globalpatties.com -- makes protein patties to your specs and very inexpensively. Lots of people are buying from them.

allen
Ian
Forum Regular

Unread post by Ian »

Allen

You had mentioned that you put up to 4 patties on your hives, back somewhere in your diary pages. I feed a pattie or two in April. Do you feed them supplement during the first couple of weeks of the first pollen flow?

Ian
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Yes. I think it is s a good idea to feed it until the weather is settled.

allen