Bears

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Deerhunter

Bears

Unread post by Deerhunter »

Allen,

Do you have a problem with Bears in your area. I was thinking of getting an electric fence for the few hives I have. I'd hate to find them destroyed one weekend.
mranum

Bears and electric fences

Unread post by mranum »

I'm not Allen but thought I'd throw my two cents in. A friend of mine was a game warden in Penn., USA and had some beekeepers in his area bothered by bears. He says to hang bacon strips on the newly installed electric fence to "train" the bears. He claims that unless they get a "real taste" of the fence, they are prone to just go through the thing. When they smell or try to lick the bacon, they remember the experience and hence the fence wins.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

That's good Advice. There is a lot of detailed discussion on BEE-L. You could search for 'bear fence' at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/

allen
Tom

Unread post by Tom »

Actually, bear problems can be divided into two separate issues: bears not having had a taste of honey and brood, and bears that have.

If you live where there are bears, then you should plan for bears. I have seen many attempts to keep bears out (as I live in an area where large numbers of bears will visit an apiary spot in any one season, black bears and the occasional griz.) Most attempts to have strong fences will fail for one reason and another. Electric fences actually are the best, and these sometimes fail because of poor grounding, because of too little power, or because someone forgot to throw the switch.

Now a bear that doesn't know what's in those boxes yet is comparatively easy to keep out. If your fence is grounded and has power, even if she touches it with a shoulder, the shock will be enough and she will leave, and probably not come back for some months, say until the apples are falling down in the orchard nearby. When bears touch an electric fence typically they go backward and not into the fence. You don't really need bacon strips etc for this kind of bear.

But a bear that knows what is in those white boxes is different. This is when you need your bacon strips. And, I have found that a can of sardines is better. Bacon strips dry up, and the crows get them, and the coyotes and foxes, but sardine cans can be electried and attached firmly to the fence. Now a bear touches a sardine can to lick the juice with its wet tongue. I have seen the legs come right out from under big bears with this kind of connection. And this is what you need for this kind of bear, because it will be back several times. It may try to dig under the fence. It may climb a tree and drop in over the fence. If there is a hump nearby, they may try to jump over. It is rare for them to charge the fence, but they may try it at a different spot a few days later hoping the power is gone. This bear may even watch the beekeeper and approach to scare him away from this source of food. But a well-charged fence will keep this bear out too.

Generally, you want to try and have type one bears, and have your fence in top charge if you have a type two bear.

Tom