Styrofoam Hives

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Kris

Styrofoam Hives

Unread post by Kris »

I was wondering about the styrofoam hives that you tested out this Winter Allen;

You mentioned that you transferred them over in October (or at least I think that's what you said)... do you think it would make a difference if you transferred them over at the end of August or early September?

Are they designed to be used year round, and if so... can they take the weight of supers of honey on top of them? If they are only designed for Winter use it seems like a lot of work to me...

I'm also wondering if bees would do better with them in a more temperate climate such as the Okanagan?

Regarding the lack of a top entrance... could you not put on a standard inner cover w/top entrance and then a telescopic lid over the whole works instead of the lid they come with? (perhaps the dimensions would not accomodate that)

How durable are they? It would seem to me that they would take a lot of abuse with hive tools etc...

Kristy
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

You mentioned that you transferred them over in October (or at least I think that's what you said)... do you think it would make a difference if you transferred them over at the end of August or early September?

Yes, that is what I am told, and I always preach myself, against disturbing brood combs late in the season.

Are they designed to be used year round, and if so... can they take the weight of supers of honey on top of them? If they are only designed for Winter use it seems like a lot of work to me...

Yes, and yes.

I'm also wondering if bees would do better with them in a more temperate climate such as the Okanagan?

My Dutch friends used them in Holland and loved them. They just bought a bunch. Murray McGregor in Scotland says wonderful things about them.

Regarding the lack of a top entrance... could you not put on a standard inner cover w/top entrance and then a telescopic lid over the whole works instead of the lid they come with? (perhaps the dimensions would not accomodate that)

You would need a bigger lid. The walls are thicker than wood.

How durable are they? It would seem to me that they would take a lot of abuse with hive tools etc...

Quite, but they recommend painting them, and they do get scarred up over time.

allen