American Foul Brood in Drone Comb

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Old Droner

Unread post by Old Droner »

Has anyone seen this anywhere or anytime in your hives?

I have asked several hundreds of people including Mr. Allen Dick, no one can say they have seen this... Begs the question.... Why? AFB should show up in drone comb just the same as worker comb.

If it does not show up, what can be a reason, largness of cell? Drones get removed earlier? what?
cpecka

Unread post by cpecka »

When I worked in a commercial environment back in 1975-1978 where I was exposed to thousands of hives, the only time I found AFB was in brood combs. I did not notice any AFB that discriminated between worker or drone brood cells.

Back then, with the amount of time we had per hive when doing the disease checks, Diseased colonies were just marked, killed and burned in the evenings along with any gloves & Hive tools we used. We were trained to identify and eradicate so there was not too much time to analyse it.

I have been fortunate have have not seen AFB in over 20 years, but I know it is still there.
Old Droner

Unread post by Old Droner »

I guess as I re read the question... I was curiuos if scale AFB scale has ever been found in Drone Comb? Adony from Beaverlodge Research said no... and he right now is kinda an AFB guru.

Is there something about drone cells or the drones biology that counters AFB?

just some more food for thought.