Natural beekeeping

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Tim
Forum Regular

Natural beekeeping

Unread post by Tim »

Now what in the world does that suposed to mean? What form of agriculture is natural? I guess fishing with your hands, or hunting with rocks and picking wild berries.

What is this hang up that some many would-be philosophers think that they are advocating?
naomi

seems interesting

Unread post by naomi »

I am a girl from China. But you know, some of my good friends are studying honeybee in a Chinese University called Fujian Agricultural and Forest University.
They are studying to understand bee's life and hobbies, and one of them tell me they are trying to use a natural way to deal with the honey producing process. It really seems very difficult but I think they can do it.
If people want to eat the most natural things they must pay for it, yes? They must understand that the natural and the less. They can not produce things in a natural way in a batch.
If any of you have really worked out the best way to produce the most natural way, please don't forget me, a layman's concern.
Thanks.
Tim
Forum Regular

Unread post by Tim »

Naomi welcome!!

Many of us would like a chance to learn more about Chinese beekeeping. What kinds of bees do you use over there?
naomi

rp

Unread post by naomi »

I think they are something called bearbee. Their body is very big, having some yellow and black cross. And anyway, some people are feeding bees called Chinese bees, why? Are there Canada bees, America bees? It sounds interesting, yes?
Thank u, Tim, it seems that there is no one noticing me and want answer my Q.
PS: When I am online, all of you are sleeping at home,yes?
Tim
Forum Regular

Unread post by Tim »

When I am online, all of you are sleeping at home,yes?
Yes! But please keep posting! I used to live in Africa, and I was a farm manager, and we had roll call just before sun rise. So I still get up at 4:00am.

Best regards
Tim
naomi

ps

Unread post by naomi »

Africa?! It maybe very interesting. Yes?
Anyway, someday, could you please write your experience in Africa to me? Is it ok to send it to email: aijuanw@163.com?
A farm manager? I think you are not only keeping bees? We have farmers in China, but they cannot call themselves as manager. They just keep their farmlands, gardens and hope one day their daughter or son can have a good future.
In China, farmer are not rich but many of them live a undisturbing life, self-satisfied.
What do you do in your farm?
naomi

ffd

Unread post by naomi »

Our farmers don's go online. I hope one day they can go online and do more things they didn't experienced.
Tim
Forum Regular

Unread post by Tim »

I cannot answer your questions about what people in Canada do. I am in California where my bees make honey all year round. I only have about 100 beehives, so I only work with them 1 or 2 days per week. The rest of the week I run a small landscape contracting business. This is my website.

http://webpages.charter.net/tvaughan/index.html

Does someone in your family have bees? I would like to know what disease they have, and what they do to them. Do you have Varroa mite?

Regards
Tim
naomi

ps

Unread post by naomi »

yes, I have seen your website, very great things. Not my family, I just have many friends studying bees in their lab. As for me, I am only interested in beekeeping.

what is Varroa mite? I am a Chinese, I really don't know these two words.

I have discussed with my friends and know bees must be far away acarid.And now they are working out a better way to deal with acarid. Is there any natural way to deal with acarid but pesticide or something else which has side effect?
Dave Bradfield

Natural Beekeeping

Unread post by Dave Bradfield »

I think you are meaning that you want to use the most "natural" way of keeping bees for the production of honey.
I would subscribe to magazines such as American Beekeeping Journal or Bee Culture to study the most effective way to combat diseases and such without using any chemicals other than natural ones..ie.pepperment oil, menthol, grease patties, drone foundation etc.
Good Luck.
Tim
Forum Regular

Unread post by Tim »

Yes, you are right. I am speaking of arachnid. Tell me, what is the chemical name you people use to combat arachid?

I think that there may be "natural" ways to combat the different arachnids, but it is more difficult that chemicals, and maybe one will work here, but not there.

Can you post a picture of your beehives? Here are some of mine

Regards
Tim
naomi

r

Unread post by naomi »

Thanks, Tim, Dave.
I don't know why I cannot post my pics.
Dave, can pepper oil really do to deal with arachrid? It just has some effect,right?
Dave Bradfield

Natural Beekeeping

Unread post by Dave Bradfield »

Naomi, I'll do some research on it for you.

Dave
naomi

ps

Unread post by naomi »

Thanks, Dave.:-)
I will try it too.