Mite Treatment

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
cpecka

Mite Treatment

Unread post by cpecka »

RE: last entry to your diary

"That last comment perhaps explains why spring apistan treatments work so much better than fall treatment. In the fall, the bees are on the floor of the hive and the mites that are weakened can climb back on. In the spring, the bees are in the top box and any mites that fall off are gone forever."

Just because of this fact I have spent quite a few hours at the table saw making the IPM screen bottoms, more expensive, not as durable in my opinion but I think a necessary expence now.

My spring treatments here would be in the beginning of my flow so I must do it in the fall, unless I can forsee a nice warm day in January to get them early. I haven't been to good a predicting the weather here, It's snow/rain mix here today.
Kristy

mite treatment

Unread post by Kristy »

I've often wondered about those screen bottom boards; I realize the theory behind them, but what happens if you want to use Formic Acid or Menthol... won't the screened bottoms let too much of the fumes escape?

As an aside to Allen: I remember reading in one of your archived diary pages about using grease/extender patties as an aid in controlling mites... would you mind elaborating on that particular application?

Kristy
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I wonder too. However, screened bottoms need not be open to the outdoors. Jean-Pierre has a study at http://www.reineschapleau.wd1.net/artic ... 0BOARD.pdf you might appreciate.

Diana Sammataro did some work that showed that using Crisco patties -- with or without OTC -- reduced tracheal mite infestation.

allen
cpecka

IPM Bottom Boards

Unread post by cpecka »

I keep my yards in full sun, with bottoms screens closed with the test board in place. The Colonies with IMP boards last year are booming now with no winter losses, and appear to be more healthy than those without and those I recently purchased. Now I my goal is to change the remaining to the new bottoms.

But this is not the only answer to the problem, I'm in the process to convert to Russian and NWC's and moving away from the normal (Italian) breeds considered best for my area.

I don't consider the IPM boards an end all, but just a cog in the wheel of the solution.