Stock Selection

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
JA

Stock Selection

Unread post by JA »

This topic relates to the border discussion but I thought it more appropriate to start a new topic for my question. With the border discussion leading to stock selection as the most effective way to combat mites and disease in the future, what I want to know is how do I go about starting this in my operation now? I understand that I want to promote my strongest stock, the ones that appear healthiest, make the most honey, winter the best etc. To do this, I would think that I would generate queens from these lines and requeen hives with lines that I find un-desirable. That said, I run 450-500 hives and this winter has been very very good to me and I have a low loss rate and a lot of very strong hives that are producing a pretty decent amount of brood already. Out of these strongest hives, what characteristics do I look for, above and beyond the rest of the good hives, to promote? I truly believe that elminating the weakest stock lines is the best way to give our operation the best chance to survive any impending disasters that may arise.
~Jim
ps: thanks to you Allen for this forum, it has quickly become my most visited site and a very valuable resource for my wife and I
Ian
Forum Regular

Unread post by Ian »

I think a good way to get genetics into your operation otherthan via queens, is with drone colonies. The more drones out their with the genetics you want, the higher chance you superseeded queens will mate with the genetics you want.

Ian
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I think you guys pretty well covered it.

I can only add that it is wise to breed from a number of mothers and better to eliminate the bad stock than to try to breed only the very best. Those 'best' characteristics in a hive may be only a matter of lucky chance or individual fortune, rather than a proof of superior genes.

If you 'nuc out' your worst hives and requeen with cells, consider that you may have some really bad drone stock in the mating yard. I made that mistake -- once.

allen