Mite treatments

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
cgybees
Forum Regular

Mite treatments

Unread post by cgybees »

Was having an interesting discussion the other day in another forum re: mite treatments. Some folks are of the opinion that apivar is losing effectiveness locally. Others feel the placement of the strips is critical to success but that they're still working as advertised. OAV still seems to be the leading knockout punch for mites.

What's your opinion? Are you still treating with Apivar? Is it working?
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Mite treatments

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Did not work well for me. It seems to work if the dose is increased or two treatments a year after used. One did the trick previously.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
cgybees
Forum Regular

Unread post by cgybees »

Pulling in comments Allen started on another thread about TBH's in response to my comments about small cell size perhaps having some effectiveness in mite control, here's an interesting (but not scientifically conclusive) article on the topic, more for interest's sake than because I think anyone is going to rush out and wholesale convert.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/trial-o ... ell-combs/
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

A commercial keeper I have been working with has told me that he too has heard reports of Apivar losing effectiveness. As always, he continues to advise rotating through different methods of treatments, never using the same one twice in a row, in order to reduce the possibility of developing resistance.

In my own experience, though I was told that Apistan was no longer effective I had one year when my supers came off too late to use Formic. I used the Apistan instead and had a good kill with it, and all of the hives made it through the winter.