Help On Bee Wings

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Help On Bee Wings

Unread post by Countryboy »

I attended Apimondia 2013 in Kiev, Ukraine and am on the mailing list for the Brotherhood of Ukrainian Beekeepers.

They recently sent me an email about a beekeeping program they are doing for injured Ukrainian soldiers to help them get a new start in life.

http://www.veterans-and-bees.com/en/

The economy in Ukraine is so bad right now, the average salary is $150-$200 US dollars a month. The group is seeking donations for the program, but they were claiming it would cost $1150 for each veteran. So I emailed them to see what all the veterans receive. Here is the reply I received:

Thank you for your attention to our Project "Help on bee wings". Today Ukrainian veterans need rehabilitation.

And our Project was developed for this purpose.

If you want to become a benefactor, it is a big help. We thank you.

According to the Project "Help on bee wings, every participant will be provided with the following:
∙ Bee Nuc (box is included) – 5 pieces
∙ Complete Hive Kit – 5 pieces
o Horizontal painted hive of wood
( for 24 frames)
o Winter warming(pad for inside use)
o Assembled Wood Frames (Dadant)
o Frame feeder
o Follower Board
∙ Brood Wax Foundation – 10 kg
∙ Form Board – 1 piece
∙ Hive Tool – 1 piece
∙ Stainless Steel Smoker – 1 piece
∙ Bee Suit – 1 piece
∙ Vented Glover of Leather – 1 piece
∙ Bee Brush – 1 piece
∙ Tool Box of Wood – 1 piece
∙ Drawer Pollen Trap – 5 pieces
∙ Electricity inverter (12V) – 1 piece
for embedding wire in wax foundation
∙ Stainless Steel Uncapping Scratcher – 1 piece
∙ Stainless Steel Double Sieve – 1 piece
∙ Hand Crank Frames Extractor – 1 piece
(for 3 frames)
∙ Delivery service

The total planned budget for one participant amounts to 1150 USD.

You can transfer funds to the account of our organization, or carry out transfer into my personal account, using the Western Union service.
Upon receipt of these funds, I will transfer them into the account of our organization.

Unfortunately the Pay Pal service is not operating now. We are working in order to settle this issue.

You can also pay by card ( Visa or MasterCard) through online service of one of our leading banks. (Please click the button “Donate Now” on the our site http://www.veterans-and-bees.com/en/)

This bank guarantees to keep your personal data confidential.

Once again thank you for your attention to us, to our beekeeping community, our veterans and for your desire to contribute to the preservation of bees on the Earth.

Best regards,
Tetyana Vasylkivska

Chairman of the Board
NGO "Brotherhood of Ukrainian Beekeepers"
Member of the working group of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine for development of beekeeping
President of XXXXIII International Apimondia Congress, Ukraine, 2013
Honorary Member of Apimondia, International Federation of Beekeepers’ Associations

The horizontal hives are a trough hive, and hold 24 Dadant frames. So it appears the guys will get 5 complete hives, 5 nucleus hives of bees, a 3 frame extractor, and typical bee equipment.
To me, $1150 for 5 hives and the rest of the stuff seems like a reasonable cost.
I intend to donate some money. If anyone else is in a charitable mood, I'd encourage them to check this out.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio