Skunks

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Susan

Skunks

Unread post by Susan »

Hi, Yesterday I was out to check the hives and discovered that since the last time I was in the yard, a skunk has discovered my hives. We figured out where the skunk lives (saw him last night for a brief second) and he will be done away with when we are given the opportunity.
The hive that he has been harassing is still alive, but the entire outside of the hive stinks of skunk, I mean really smells. My question is: Will this smell affect the taste of my honey crop this year? Is it going to leach into the honey etc. I have no idea if this smell is in the hive as well. I have the hive on open mesh bottoms if that makes a difference. Any help would be great.
Susan Jordan
Stratford, Ontario.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I doubt that the smell will linger.

FWIW, I usually just let skunks live. Most skunks don't do much harm and they do keep the mice down. If you have a problem skunk, though, then you may have to dispatch it. Some skunks are just trouble, others can be discouraged or distracted.

Raising hives off the ground a foot or so is good for the bees and will greatly reduce skunk problems, as will using a chicken wire guard or a carpet tack strip inverted on the entrance board. Some people feed the skunk dog or cat food to distract it, but many just destroy the skunk.

Anyhow, I wouldn 't worry about the smell. It will go away.

allen
Ian
Forum Regular

Unread post by Ian »

I used to have a skunk problem, up until I started managing my hives on pallets. Since then i have not seen any evedence of them at all. I would suggest you try this idea before the nail carpet idea. Only something to step on, taken from experience!!

Ian