OX vaporizer

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
karen
Forum Regular

OX vaporizer

Unread post by karen »

I am going to use oxalic acid vapor treatments later in the fall when there is no brood in my hives. I have a vaporizer a friend made the heat source is a glow plug. My questions are does the heat from the vaporizer effect plastic frames and what about the bur comb the bees tend to put on the bottom of the frames when against the bottom board?
Colino
Forum Regular

Re: OX vaporizer

Unread post by Colino »

Hello Karen:
I'm not sure about plastic frames but I've never had it do anything to burr comb. I purchased my vaporizer from Heilser Technology and their instructions were to put your dose of OA in and do a practice run timing it until it is totally gone then use that time to do your treatments. My time was 55 seconds so I rounded it up to 1 minute. After vaporization you take the power off of the unit so it is no longer heating. If yours takes the same amount of time as mine it shouldn't harm plastic frames. This is not the full instructions on how to use it but I'm taking for granted you know the full procedure. I hope this helps.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

If there is burr comb on the bottom of frames and/or insufficient clearance, the bottoms of frames will be scorched. That also inhibits good distribution of the fumes.

Push a cold, empty vaporizer into an entrance and get down and look into the entrance. You will see what you need to see.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Justin

Unread post by Justin »

Allen Dick wrote:If there is burr comb on the bottom of frames and/or insufficient clearance, the bottoms of frames will be scorched. That also inhibits good distribution of the fumes.

Push a cold, empty vaporizer into an entrance and get down and look into the entrance. You will see what you need to see.
Hi Allen, Did you create made a wood device to put under the hive to let the vapors go up through the mesh I thought I saw that on your site but I could be confused). If yes, could you possibly give us the dimensions of what you made? I have polystyrene Bee Box hives and would like to follow your example.

thank you.

Justin
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I was using the screened bottom boards that TLS Sales in Saskatchewan sells. My standard bottoms have a 7/8" rise, rather than the 3/8 or 3/4" that is more common.

My floor and lid specifications diagrams are on the diary site -- somewhere.

Here: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/arti ... floors.htm
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

Glad you found your way here Justin. Vance