Out of Action

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Out of Action

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Greetings from the Red Deer Hospital Cardiac Unit.

Apologies for the late approvals on the new posts and welcome. I always moderate new participants for the first few messages just to be sure the we don't get spammed.

Seems I had a small heart event Monday. Suffering from bad indigestion that nothing seemed to help, I went to the Three Hills hospital at around two.

Athough by the time I arrived i was feeling somewhat better, and initial tests did not indicate anything much, they kept me for a few hours. A second troponin test indicated a problem that had me transported to Red Deer around midnight.

I've been here since then and I'm still in Red Deer this AM.
At present we are waiting for word from Foothills for an opening and then I get a ride there for tests and possible treatment.

It's quite an adventure. Not one I would have sought, but one I am enjoying. I could easily become spoiled with all this attention.

At any rate, I did not bring a computer and am limited to my phone -- that is the reason for missing diary posts over the last several days

Anyhow, with any luck I should be home later in the week.

https://goo.gl/photos/Gg1cyFFhS1GBcTTa9
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Colino
Forum Regular

Re: Out of Action

Unread post by Colino »

I wondered why there were no diary entries the last couple of days. Have a speedy recovery Allen.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
TWall
Forum Regular

Unread post by TWall »

I am glad to hear you are where you can get any treatment you might need.

Tom
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

All the best to you and a fast recovery.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

:mrgreen: Thanks folks. I'm still on hold in Red Deer. Supposed to be going to Calgary but Foothills Hospital is full due to smoke.

Monday morning I went out to work on my bees and did a couple of hours work then went in for lunch and a rest.

At 1300, I went back out and started again but I soon felt unusually uncomfortable indigestion and went back in for a while. I tried Tums and also drinking some soda pop but nothing seemed to clear the indigestion so I decided to go to the hospital.

I took an aspirin, loaded Zippy into the van and drove to the Three Hills hospital where I was immediately admitted and tested.

Nothing really seem to show up and I wasn't feeling too bad by then but they said stick around until 8:30 to have another blood test done. I did in the meantime I wandered around and even went grocery shopping.

At 8 they drew more blood and by 9 I was told that I would have to stay in hospital due to a troponin reading of 0.93 that indicated something was going on. I called Maddy and ask her to come and get Zippy, so she did. That left my van sitting in the hospital parking lot. At that time I had no idea how long I would be away or even that I would be ambulanced to Red Deer shortly.

Just before midnight they loaded me into an ambulance and took me to the Red Deer hospital where I was admitted into the cardiac care unit.

I had notified my daughter when 8 left Three hills and she showed up at the hospital shortly after I arrived, stayed a little while, then left.

I was given pills and a needle and spent the night under close supervision, hooked up to various devices.

Tuesday morning I was given various medications and needles and the day passed with the promise that I would be taken to the Foothills Hospital in Calgary for further evaluation and treatment shortly. Jean and the kids came to visit. I watched a lot of Netflix.

Wednesday passed much the same way with promises of transport to Calgary but nothing materialized. I have been catching up on sleep, probably totaling fifteen hours. I was in contact with Maddy Bert and Fen, and Bert offered to fetch my van from Three hills.

The problem was that Jean had my key up at Gull Lake. Bert had not been to Jean's new house so I suggested she invite him for supper and Bert drove up to the lake got the key and I assume took my van home.

Thursday at 0930, I was wheelchaired down for an echocardiogram. Apparently they can't tell me anything detailed from that, though, but i assume they could see something because they are letting me walk around now.

I guess the lack of urgency shown by Foothills after reading my data indicates that I am not in grave danger. They are also busy there due to smoke-related respiratory and heart issues in Calgary from the stickpin fire in Washington State. Calgary air quality was 11 on a scale of 1 to 10 yesterday.

https://goo.gl/photos/Gg1cyFFhS1GBcTTa9

Writing all this on a phone is quite an experience and I cannot find good things to say about Google Keyboard. It's really not very easy compared to some other ones I have used iin the past. Some of the icons are in the right place but others are in places where I hit them by mistake and large areas are taken up by the tap to pause button.
Forum owner/janitor
---
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

You are not usually quiet so I was getting worried. Get well, be well.
AdrianQuineyWI
Forum Regular

Unread post by AdrianQuineyWI »

Allen, I am sorry to hear about your cardiac issues. The good news is that cardiac medicine has come a long way and cardiac recoveries are way more common than they used to be. I suspect that this episode will add more impetus to your interest in weight loss and exercise.
If you can achieve your goal of losing 20 more pounds your heart will thank you. As there will be 20 pounds less of tissue to supply blood to and 20 pounds less for your body to lug around. Good luck with your recovery.
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

I was wondering what was going on when I didn't see you post in the diary, but then I saw you online in the forum yesterday so I figured you must have been busy doing other things.

I was in a bad auto accident when I was 20, and spent some time in the hospital too. If you're wondering how serious you are, simply look at your nurses. If they are old, fat, ugly, or guys, you will be fine. If your nurses are beautiful, be worried.

I observed that when I was in ICU, the nurses were very good looking. Once I got moved to a regular room, the nurses were all old, fat, ugly, or guys. I inquired about it, and was told the hospitals deliberately do this. If you are in danger of dying, they surround you with beautiful people because being surrounded by beautiful people gives people a little bit more will to live. Once they know you will live, they give you the regular nurses. This makes staying at the hospital less enjoyable, and gives people the desire to get better/do therapy so they can go home.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Friday morning:

I was awake at 0400 for blood tests and breakfast, then slept until 0630 for more tests.

At 0700, I'm off to Foothills for an angiogram scheduled at 0900. It's a ninety mile ride in an ambulance.

From there, who knows? Assuming all goes well, either I stay there a day or so and am released our get a ride back here. Both places are equidistant from home.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

Good luck with your hospitalization. Was hoping nothing had happened to you. I for one will miss your travel thru your routine. And I enjoy your tossed off bits of wisdom on the bees. I always gain weight in the hospital.
AdrianQuineyWI
Forum Regular

Allen, what's the plan? Are you any closer to getting home? I should imagine you are getting a bit antsy now if you are still sitting around in the hospital.

You have never seemed like much of a sitter...
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I chose to stay in the Red Deer Hospital until Monday so they can do a stress test. That was my idea. Otherwise they would have released me today.

I want to have an idea where I stand and be sure how much exertion I can stand.

Assuming all goes well, I'll be released Monday afternoon.

I'm entertaining myself, but am not sleeping as much.

I can see today that I was weaker than I had thought and being here has been good. Until today, I might have been fine, but was not quite myself.

The staff are excellent.
Forum owner/janitor
---
AdrianQuineyWI
Forum Regular

That is a good idea. Are you thinking about reducing the numbers of hives you have? You have way more than the average guy and for interest and entertainment 20 serves as well as 100.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I am always thinking about reducing the number of hives, but somehow they seem to stay right around this level.
Will be preparing them for winter and I'll see how many I have left after that.
I do think I have too many and have thought that for some time.
Forum owner/janitor
---
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

In spring you can always sell more, with out splitting, and reduce to what is fun and not work. You have had a really busy summer between bees and family. Glad your on the mend, get well and go enjoy your boat.
dtompsett
Forum Regular

Unread post by dtompsett »

Any updates??? Hope all is well
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

Yes, Allen is out of the hospital. I am sure he will be writing soon.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Yup. I'm back home.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I always gain weight in the hospital.
I lost three pounds over the week and I was not starving by any means.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

Glad your home. I suppose they have a regimen for you to follow. Within reason follow it. I am not good with doctors orders concerning cholesterol or lifting.