Lentils as nectar source?

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Colino
Forum Regular

Lentils as nectar source?

Unread post by Colino »

I just noticed yesterday one of my neighbors has put in a 1/4 section of Lentils. I did a search and could find very little about Lentils as a nectar source. Anyone have experience with Lentils, is it a good flow or crystallize like Canola? Unlike field peas the flowers look like something honey bees can work.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/ ... Tuver2.jpg
Thanks
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Re: Lentils as nectar source?

Unread post by Countryboy »

Your picture does not appear to be lentils.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_26884479_pus ... lenta.html
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Countryboy wrote:Your picture does not appear to be lentils.

http://www.123rf.com/photo_26884479_pus ... lenta.html
I just took the image off the net from images of Lentils. I've not actually seen a Lentil flower so didn't know. But would you know if they are a good nectar source?
Thanks
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

I thought you were posting a picture that you personally took.

No, I don't know if lentils are a good nectar crop, but I do know the pictures of the leaves are very similar to hairy vetch, (and lentils are related to vetch) so it is likely the bees will work lentils similarly to how they work vetch.

It may also depend on competing bee forage also. If something is blooming the bees like better, they may ignore the vetch. Or if something else started blooming first, the bees may lock on to the earlier nectar source and ignore the lentils until the first source dries out.

My recommendation is to wait until the lentils start blooming and then move a few hives in. Within a few days, you will know how much nectar the bees are bringing in. If they are bringing in a lot, move a larger amount of bees in.

I suspect it will be trial and error. I doubt you will find a lot of information because I doubt lentils are grown often enough when bees are around for there to be much information available.

And don't forget that in some plants, it depends on the exact variety, or it is dependent upon soil type if the plant produces nectar. For all I know lentils could be like soybeans. Some people make a soybean honey crop, and others consider beans to be a barren beekeeping desert.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Countryboy wrote:My recommendation is to wait until the lentils start blooming and then move a few hives in. Within a few days, you will know how much nectar the bees are bringing in. If they are bringing in a lot, move a larger amount of bees in.

I suspect it will be trial and error. I doubt you will find a lot of information because I doubt lentils are grown often enough when bees are around for there to be much information available.

And don't forget that in some plants, it depends on the exact variety, or it is dependent upon soil type if the plant produces nectar. For all I know lentils could be like soybeans. Some people make a soybean honey crop, and others consider beans to be a barren beekeeping desert.
Thanks for your reply:
The Lentils are only about 500 yards away to the west from my hives so I won't have to move them and about 200 yards south is a field of mustard. It will be interesting to see how competition between the 2 will work out. Maybe I should have bought a few more packages this year if these lentils work out.
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

Apparently agronomists select plants that secret less nectar in varieties where pollination by insects is not necessary. Less nectar equals more energy to crop. At least that is what I read somewhere.
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Vance G wrote:Apparently agronomists select plants that secret less nectar in varieties where pollination by insects is not necessary. Less nectar equals more energy to crop. At least that is what I read somewhere.
That would make sense because it would save the plant some energy which could be turned into bigger seeds. I just finished talking with Scandia Honey and they don't think the Lentil varieties around here are that great for nectar.
As a side note, they also Mentioned that the provincial bee inspector has recommended an extra Apivar strip be added to hives because the mite counts this spring are so high. I have already thrown 2 in where 1 would have been needed by mistake because the clusters weren't that big, so I'm hoping I will be fine. I'll do some mite counts when it warms up.