Semi EPS Boxes

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Colino
Forum Regular

Semi EPS Boxes

Unread post by Colino »

I bought a cheap styrofoam sheet from Rona and glued pieces to the outside of some wood boxes. It gives me an R value of about R4. It took paint well and although a bit messy was easy to do. I installed 2 packages in boxes like this and 2 in normal boxes. The only difference I've noticed so far is the insulated boxes don't seem to start flying as strongly in the morning as normal ones.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Charlie
Forum Regular

Re: Semi EPS Boxes

Unread post by Charlie »

I'm guessing the sun is heating your wooden boxes faster than the boxes with Styrofoam on the outside. Could you post a picture of this?
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote:I'm guessing the sun is heating your wooden boxes faster than the boxes with Styrofoam on the outside. Could you post a picture of this?
I just got home Charlie so after I have a bite to eat I'll do that some time this afternoon. No problem. The foam is 3/4" thick 4X8 sheet at Rona UPC 653918100323.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Colino wrote:
Charlie wrote:I'm guessing the sun is heating your wooden boxes faster than the boxes with Styrofoam on the outside. Could you post a picture of this?
I just got home Charlie so after I have a bite to eat I'll do that some time this afternoon. No problem. The foam is 3/4" thick 4X8 sheet at Rona UPC 653918100323.
Here they are Charlie, a little crude but if they work my next ones will be prettier because I've worked out the method. I uploaded them to my Drop box.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gjyycz47h2rb ... LNU9a?dl=0
As an aside, I checked this afternoon and all my packages are queen right and both of the queens in my splits have been released. However I can't find the queen or eggs in the one Nuc. I'm hoping she's a tardy layer and not dead.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Interesting............ you'll have to let us know how it works for you during the summer. I did use what I believe the 2 inch version of this insulation my very first winter, where I pushed all of the hives together and cut 4 x 8 sheets to fit. I believe the insulation is the white stuff with the big kernels that break off very easily. I found it did not stand up very well and I used the 2 inch styrene last winter. The winter was so mild I don't believe anything can be said for the 2 inch styrene for or against it, although it did stand up better than the insulation I used the first year. I do have an EPS box that you see in Allen's pictures and for straight insulation value ease-of-use etc. I think the EPS box is hands down the winner. I can tell you with very small numbers mind you in a side-by-side comparison of the standard deep box that you get from Bee Maid for $15 or whatever is not even in the same race as these EPS boxes. I literally had a new double screwed together sitting beside an EPS Double that I got from Allen last year and I'm guessing it's 10 years old maybe less maybe more and hands down the EPS box outperforms the's standard wooden box. The EPS boxes are lighter, better handholds, less work in the northern climate and quite frankly I think they're probably more durable . Conceivably they could be less work in the southern climate too, because styrene insulates from the heat as well as the cold, someone would need to experiment to prove value in southern climates. Now don't get me wrong they are not perfect by any stretch for example shipping costs are outrageous because these boxes do not break down and to the best of my knowledge there is only one supplier of these boxes, which if what I'm reading right in the other forms is superior to anything else. I also question the difference in the moisture between EPS boxes and wooden boxes and at this point in time I can categorically say without a doubt I have no idea if it matters.There is one other problem with the boxes that I got from Allen in that my wife doesn't like the colors he painted them, and I'm too lazy to paint them a color that she would like. :lol:

Really at the end of the day if you consider the cost of buying your insulation and screwing around with it to make it fit etc., I don't believe there's any value when compared to an EPS box.
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote: Now don't get me wrong they are not perfect by any stretch for example shipping costs are outrageous...
Really at the end of the day if you consider the cost of buying your insulation and screwing around with it to make it fit etc., I don't believe there's any value when compared to an EPS box.
There's my problem Charlie, shipping of stuff is so pricy for me down here in the southeast corner that it prohibits me most times from buying equipment. I have lots of time to build things during the winter and being a retired tradesman I have excellent hand skills so I try to build everything myself. I believe they manufacture EPS boxes in Edmonton don't they? If I ever have a reason to go up there I may purchase some but it is 5 hours away.
The styrofoam sheet I bought was $12.65 and will do 5 boxes.
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote:Interesting............ you'll have to let us know how it works for you during the summer.
Just an update on my Semi EPS boxes. It's not very scientific because it's no more than an impression but it seems like the insulated boxes are helping. I would say almost 2 more frames of bees than my plain wooden ones in the 1st brood cycle. I shook 4 packages into 2 Semi EPS and 2 normal wooden boxes in a row of 6 hives with the 2 end hives being my overwintered hives. I put the two Semi's at position 2 and 5 so they wouldn't pick up extra bees from drift. Again there are a lot of factors that come into play but from a preliminary observation it looks like it will be worth the effort. If I ever have the jingle or the chance I will definitely buy some EPS boxes.
Colino
Forum Regular

Unread post by Colino »

After spending 3 hours this fall wrapping my brood boxes I decided to make more Semi EPS boxes. After my next honey harvest I'm definitely going to change over to EPS boxes for all my brood chambers.
https://youtu.be/IAZRPieBR4U
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Hey there Colino or anyone else that has experience with the 2 inch styrene Hives/Nucs.

Do you any updates on the semi-EPS boxes that you were building, I believe you are going to try two inch styrene from Home Depot or Lowe's or some such place. I am wondering if the bees will eat the styrene etc.. If it was successful maybe you could describe how you did it

Getting the full-blown EPS boxes out of Beaver Plastics is a huge pain unless you want to be raped on the shipping. I would imagine if you are ordering a semi-load shipping is not a big a deal per box but for a half a dozen boxes it seems to be a big deal.

Thanks,
Kens
Forum Regular

Beaver Plastics EPS Boxes

Unread post by Kens »

I go right past Beaver Plastics often, on an irregular basis. I don't mind picking up boxes for people.

Last month I picked up for 2 people in Calgary.

They called in and paid by cc, I just went to the shipping door and picked them up, no hassle.

Beaver had a small, made up, pallet of 28 boxes that was efficiently packed, covered in wrap. Very east to load and transport.

Dropping these in Calgary or Lethbridge is pretty easy too.

I want nothing for doing this, I'm a new beekeeper and think these boxes work great. Willing to help out anyone who thinks the same or wants to try!

Ken
Biermann
Forum Regular

Unread post by Biermann »

Hi Charlie,

I did it this way:
K800_IMG_3076.JPG
K800_IMG_3127.JPG
This was a few weeks ago, now I have one super on each, ready to install the second super this week, three to four frames capped.

Broadboxes, I run eight frames (minus one in B2 for the always installed frame feeder. The supers have ten frames.

In the winter I add 2" front and back and could wrap with plastic if needed. The lids are custom made, large enough to telescope over the fully insulated hive (four sides) and have enough room to install 2" PS foam board covered with 1/4" plywood, one side good.

I used one setup hive last winter and was very happy with it, even without wrapping. Opening the lid is easy anytime.

I have temp. sensors in my hives and check weekly, if it is very cold, perhaps twice daily.

Cheers, Joerg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Joerg,

Beemaid sells Manitoba Commercial Supers (Lewis) 7/8" http://www.beemaidbeestore.com/product. ... ProdID=270 for $17.95 per super and as of Monday Beaver Plastics says,
Charlie,

Price is still @ $ 21.90 each and currently have stock

Regards,
Scott McFadyen

Beaver Plastics Ltd.
Toll Free: 888.453.5961
Office: 780.962.4433
Fax: 780.962.4640
http://www.beaverplastics.com
So in the old school maths an extra $4.00 CND and you can have a super that does not need putting together or need wrapping in the winter. Call me lazy but I'll spend the $4.00. However you say
I have temp. sensors in my hives and check weekly, if it is very cold, perhaps twice daily.
and I think it would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of a EPS box by Beaver Plastics, a home-made EPS box and a normal wooden hive that has been wrapped. I would bet it is the best $4.00 you will spend.

I did find the Beaver Plastics Suppers on Amazon for ( https://www.amazon.com/Beaver-Plastics- ... B01GG96HRS) $118.35 US and they don't ship to Calgary.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

The $118.35 US was for 3 Supers just for clarification.
Biermann
Forum Regular

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello Charlie & others,

First a simple question to my last post: why can't I edit it? Was going to put a different, newer picture on.

Further, Charlie, you are absolutely right with your thought of comparing all three types, perhaps four, including my 'conversion', but does one of each really tell you anything, I am a fan of replicated trials and to do this right we would need three or four of each. I have noticed that the bees fill very ambitiously now up to the outside wall, that was different last year when they seem to go rather up in the 2nd super then filling the first super to the wall.

Also, I 'inherited' some wooden boxes from a good friend and bought six with drawn frames from Scandia, what to do with those, I don't like to through them away, so mine are now fixed for the winter.

I will report as I go along.

BTW, I have now in four hives +-24 capped frames from 72 and will extract around July 20st, that is when my buckwheat goes in to main flower, since I only go with 2 supers per hive.

Cheers, Joerg