Strong Yeast Odor?

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Colino
Forum Regular

Strong Yeast Odor?

Unread post by Colino »

I don't know if this is a normal or not, but I detected a strong yeast smell when I opened my hives this afternoon. It wasn't an unpleasant odor, in fact it was quite nice almost like a sweet fermenting smell. Could this be from the pollen patties I put on?
Colino
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino
Charlie
Forum Regular

Re: Strong Yeast Odor?

Unread post by Charlie »

Just a thought may be the "Milk Replacer As Pollen Substitute" Is beginning to ferment on you. Personally I've never noticed a yeasty smell in my small number of hives.
Colino
Forum Regular

Re: Strong Yeast Odor?

Unread post by Colino »

Charlie wrote:Just a thought may be the "Milk Replacer As Pollen Substitute" Is beginning to ferment on you. Personally I've never noticed a yeasty smell in my small number of hives.
I've never noticed that smell before either, but it doesn't seem to be harming the girls. I've changed my mind about the milk replacer theory, I now think it is chop from a mixing mill. Upon closer inspection I noticed there were small sticks of wheat straw hanging with it in their pollen baskets and what looked like flakes of straw at the entrance they have carried out.
Narcissism is easy because it's me or I, Empathy is hard because it's they or them.-Colino