Refractometer

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Bryan
Forum Regular

Refractometer

Unread post by Bryan »

I am a new beekeeper. I searched, but didn't find much information on a refractometer (other than it seems like a good idea?). I have seen them from $99.99 to almost $500 for deluxe digital models. Does anyone have an opinion on what type to get? I would rather get the proper one at the start, rather than buying another one in a year (or spending too much...)
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Re: Refractometer

Unread post by Countryboy »

I have about 75 hives. I've been keeping bees for about 8 years now.

I bought a refractometer 3 or 4 years ago. I don't think I have even used it a half dozen times. The times I did use it, it confirmed that my honey was dry enough that it wouldn't ferment.

Odds are, your local bee club (or another member) will have a refractometer that you can borrow if you really want to use one.

A good rule of thumb is to only extract frames of honey that are at least 1/2 capped. If the frame has open cells of honey or nectar, an easy way to tell if the honey is ripe enough is to hold the frame so you are looking at one side, and then give it a hard shake away from you. If it is nectar, it will fly out of the frame. If it is dry uncapped honey, a hard shake will not make it come out of the cells.

My advice is to find a mentor to help you when you extract. An experienced beekeeper will be able to tell if the honey is ripe enough to extract or not. And building a friendship with an experienced beekeeper will be worth a lot more than a $100 refractometer.

I suggest that you take the $100-$500 you were thinking on spending on a refractometer and buy things that are far more important. Buy an effective mite treatment, pollen supplement patties, and sugar to feed your bees.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

What he said.

I paid $450 for mine back when $450 would buy a really nice used car. Now $450 won't even buy a wreck.

I used it a lot, but mostly because I was a registered producer-packer and had to toe the line on moisture. Too wet and it ferments, too dry and you losing money and the product is really stiff, and the inspectors are watching, too.

For the average beekeeper, moisture is not an issue and if honey is suspected to be thin, it can be stored in the freezer or pasteurized -- or made into mead.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

In the fall when I pull all my supers I will have a lot of uncapped frames. These are to wet to extract and the bees will not take it down to the hive bodies. My refractometer has paid for itself because I take those supers and put them in a warm room with fans and a dehumidifier and pull the last of the water from the honey. With out the refractometer I wouldn't know when I have the honey below 18.5%. I sell my honey and am inspected by the state so I need my product to meet their standards. I get 50 to 100 lbs from these uncapped frames. The first year I did this it added an extra 120 lbs so the refractometer was paid for. Every year is different depending on the flow and weather by how many frames I have uncapped.

As far as price that is up to you. I started with a $100 one and now have a digital one which was $350. I like the digital on best but have kept the manual one. Some times I check the accuracy of each one against each other.
Bryan
Forum Regular

Unread post by Bryan »

Thank you for all the input and advice. My main goal this year is splitting and hive increase vs. full honey production. From the sounds of it, I am better of holding off on the refractometer for now.