sugar water supplier

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
stephen
Forum Regular

sugar water supplier

Unread post by stephen »

Curious if thre is a supplier that visits apiaries in the Wainwright Alberta area?
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: sugar water supplier

Unread post by Allen Dick »

There are quite a few commercial beekeepers in the area. If you make friends with them, I am sure they will sell you sugar syrup at a very reasonable price.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
karen
Forum Regular

Re: sugar water supplier

Unread post by karen »

I get my sugar by the 240 LB barrel from a distribution warehouse from a grocery chain. It is sugar that can't be sold for human consumption. Some times there will be 4 or 5 grains of rice in it, once there was about a tablespoon of parsley. Because of these other foods in the sugar it can not be sold for humans. I pay $70 (US) a barrel delivered. Granted I have to mix it myself. I use a handheld cement mixer and a 55 gallon barrel. I have 60 hives, it may not work for a bigger apiary. The cement mixer/barrel syrup maker has saved me a lot of time. This is what I was implying when I asked about being creative in your beekeeping in another discussion, I guess I should of use the word inventive. Coming up with ways to make your job easier with out spending money that will take a while to recoup. Most people I deal with in my area have 1 to 4 hives not 60 and beekeeping is their hobby so they do not expect some sort of return from it.