caucasian genetics

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

caucasian genetics

Unread post by Vance G »

I have seen that there is quite a bit of interest in Caucasian genetics brought into the U.S. by a Washinton state university and I have to admit I would like to have a few to play with. Is Canada as restrictive on incoming gene plasm as the fools down here? Do you have any experience with Caucasians?

On the genetics: Did the Saskatraz project go away? A couple years ago I contacted the prime movers on that and could not do business with them because I couldn't come up with enough possible customers for 50 mid season queens. I am too small potatoes to bat in that league myself.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: caucasian genetics

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I have seen that there is quite a bit of interest in Caucasian genetics brought into the U.S. by a Washinton state university and I have to admit I would like to have a few to play with. Is Canada as restrictive on incoming gene plasm as the fools down here? Do you have any experience with Caucasians?
Well, yes, and yes, actually. However, I had Caucasians and they were amazing. Came from California. I could work them naked in a thunderstorm. (No kidding. I did [almost]). Lovely bees. Amazing white cappings. You want propolis, they can provide. That was in 1973?
On the genetics: Did the Saskatraz project go away? A couple years ago I contacted the prime movers on that and could not do business with them because I couldn't come up with enough possible customers for 50 mid season queens.
Check out http://www.saskatraz.com/. I have not heard from Albert for a while, but AFAIK, he has breeders in the US and also Chile.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

Caucasian queen from breeding stock obtained through Sue Cobey are being offered from this apiary. http://caucasianbreeder.com/index.html

York bee used to sell them but when they sold out to H&R I believe they went to all Italians.

My brother tried some in FL three years ago but they did not work out for him. He got them from CA but I do know which apiary. They never really got going. He always has the problem of AHB's getting into the mix and thought having a distinct color would help him know what he had in the hive, besides knowing by the amount of stings he received.
Vance G
Forum Regular

Unread post by Vance G »

I just like puttering and my bees are getting really Italian looking and I have an urge to throw some color in the mix and see how much I like fighting propolis. When I was keeping 300 colonies in the early eighties,(Italians), I would annually have three or four that produced just this crazy amount of propolis. The Italians and Carniolan stock I have had since I re entered hardly produce any at all! I just do this cause I can't afford big sailboats and golf would drive me nuts. They are going to be coming from Strachan and will only be 3/4 Caucasian 1/4 carniolan and open mated. I will be interested in their performance. I am putting them in my yard isolated in the wheat desert so they won't be overrun by the Italian migratory bees immediately. I have a delivery date of 10 June so anyone having an urge can order them now.
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

I looked on Strachan's https://www.strachanbees.com/ web site on that they only list New World Carniolan & Italian Queens. I have my hands full right now any way. Last summer I started a yard of Russians kind of on the spur of the moment. I was some place and was offered queens at a good price and they are getting popular around my way so thought I would see what I thought of them. I plan on grafting from these queens. I have Carniolan and Italians in my other yards, why I want to keep track of three races I do not know. They will all be breed in about the same drone congregation areas. I will skip messing with Caucasian's for this year. My brother tried a bunch in FL with very poor results.
Vance G
Forum Regular

Unread post by Vance G »

I am reading Brother Adams book on beekeeping at Buckfast Abbey and he sure has nothing good to day about Caucasians. Too bad there was no one at the Abbey to continue his work.