Top Insulation methods.

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
AdrianQuineyWI
Forum Regular

Top Insulation methods.

Unread post by AdrianQuineyWI »

Up until 2 weeks ago I was happily settled on my method of top insulation for the 5 over 5 frame nucs I overwinter. It is simple and cheap and I had been using it for about 4 years with no problems.
Spring, Summer, and Fall I run a piece of plastic feed bag inner cover (FBIC), and a piece of 2" thick pink Foamular 250 insulation on the top of each colony.
Winter comes and I squish the boxes together, put a piece of cardboard between the boxes to fill the gaps, Styrofoam on the ends and then cap it with a piece of plastic to keep the worst of the winds out.
http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h45 ... m1bn9x.jpg
All was well. The only thing I changed this year was to make sure each box tipped forward very slightly in order to drain out thawing ice that may build up.
At each of my 2 sites a mouse has found its way up and eaten down into the nuc from the top.

This leads me to conclude that for 3 seasons the system will work, but for next winter I will need to do something different. For next winter I am thinking about putting a flat plywood migratory board on top of each nuc when they get squished together in the winter and then running a length of insulation pillow over each group of hives.

I see in some photos that Allen used to use make insulation pillows and I wonder what kept the mice out? Did the mice attempt to make inroads from the top? Any thoughts,suggestions, and links are welcome. Especially from the North.

Thanks.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Top Insulation methods.

Unread post by Allen Dick »

This leads me to conclude that for 3 seasons the system will work, but for next winter I will need to do something different.
There is a random element in beekeeping. Sometimes we have a "mouse year" and mice are everywhere and we expect that again the next and nary a mouse is to be seen.
I see in some photos that Allen used to use make insulation pillows and I wonder what kept the mice out? Did the mice attempt to make inroads from the top?
Mice do not like Kodel for whatever reason and I seldom saw any mouse damage. I also have a lid over the pillows, usually. We also used mouse poison blocks on top of and/or under hives. I hate to kill the innocent mice, but also hate to lose my innocent bees.

An idea that might be useful is that excluders will keep mice out of spaces.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
AdrianQuineyWI
Forum Regular

Thanks for the response. I hadn't thought about how mice might have an expansive year. I will look into "kodel".
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

I tried to find Kodel tm a couple years ago and could not locate it. I defer to those brighter than I and would gladly take advantage of your work in finding it.
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Unread post by Vance G »

I am feeling the fool. The Kodel was so hard to find that I saw instantly that it is on sale at Joanns fabric! 48" rolls 50 yards long for $56 and change. I see a shopping trip in my future.
AdrianQuineyWI
Forum Regular

Vance, good find. I'm also going to check out Home Depot and Menards before winter is out and see what they have in insulation that may be rolled out.
I just got back from my outyard, there have been no obvious mouse incursions for the last 2 weeks. All 17 were alive when I left.