Phantastic Phablets

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Phantastic Phablets

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas any more.

Back in the '60s, I had a darkroom with a B&W photo developing lab, then, later, a colour lab. My computers in the late 70s had 8K RAM and no storage other than an audio cassette -- and a 40 char text-only B&W screen (Green came later). I had a cellphones when they were the size of a lady's handbag. (That was when ladies carried handbags). I saw the first Compaq "laptop" at COMDEX in Vegas back in the early 80s. It was a board and keyboard and CRT in a Suitcase. We had the first Mac model. It was a little cube with a B&W display. We had the Atari (what a great machine) and the first IBM PCs. I had one of the first thousand or so websites in the world and nobody I knew could figure why I thought email was worth doing.

Anyhow, that was then, and this is very obviously now, and this post is actually about cellphones, although that topic these days includes all the above: phones, cameras, picture processing, portable computers, encyclopedias and more.

Cellphones have been shrinking and soaking up the functions that required other devices as well. Their power has been increasing and the cost in absolute terms, going down. I used to carry a camera and now I don't. (except for underwater). I used to carry a GPS, well, I still do for some special purposes, but not most. I gave up my landline. I never mail letters anymore and never pay bills by snail mail. I do some things with my laptop computer (have not owned a desktop for years), but I see my phone is moving in on those functions, too, as the screens get bigger and better and the power increases.

All that was a preamble to a Big Decision. Which phablet is for me?

To be continued...
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Phantastic Phablets

What started this off was an email from Bob.

--- begin quote ---

As some of you know, I recently purchased a phablet (large screen phone), a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. I don't ever remember buying a toy (for me) that has so amazed me, satisfied me and so over fulfilled any expectations I had of it.

Here is a post about it on my site: http://www.bobhack.net/compare-note-4-apple-6-lgg3.html

Cheers, Bob

http://www.bobhack.com/recent-posts.html
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

He followed it up with this:
---

Hi Allen ' quick reply - more later ........ b

Nexus 6
- no external sd card - deal breaker
- no removable battery - I get extra batteries for a few dollars from China and keep them charged handy

Note 4
- Stylus - hugely functional, endless usefulness, a must for me
- other superior Samsung software, I can't do without
- display works for my old eyes under all conditions - sunlight etc.
- has multiple windows and instant app switcher

I've been tempted to root it, but really see no need to yet. Can be easily unlocked

Hopefully Lollipop will be released for the Note 4 shortly. Only real problem with KitKat is limited ext. SD card access. This can be easily handled by ES Explorer - a must have tool. This is the most gold plated app of all time for me.

Check here http://www.computerworld.com/article/28 ... ote-4.html
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

The problem is that I really respect Bob, but all the things he likes don't matter to me. Should they?

SD card? I never use the tiny memory in my phone.
Stylus? I had one with my Sony PDA a decade a go. I can't even write by hand anymore.
I think I would like to have multiple windows, but would I use them? I can multi-task fine now.
As for the lag on Samsung, I'd hate it.

I'll have to drive out to Salmon Arm and debate this with him.
Forum owner/janitor
---
karen
Forum Regular

Unread post by karen »

A while ago when up grading my cell phone I tried a phablet. I didn't like it. There is no pocket big enough to put it in. Kind of a pain when working bees and you want your cell phone with you. I do not carry any type of bag, if it doesn't fit in my pocket it doesn't come with me. So I returned it for a Samsung S4 Active which I have recently traded for a Samsung S5 Active. I like the water proof feature because when I get it all sticky with honey I can wash it.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I carry my Nexus 4 in my front pants pocket and make sure I don't put anything else in there with it. I do not use any sort of protector as I figure that a phone is a limited-life item and there is no sense buying a slim phone then putting on a bulky case, or a good display, then adding a layer of plastic. If I spent $600 or $800 for a phone, I may have to revisit this thought, but, for that matter, fronts and backs are available in the aftermarket cheaply enough.

As for waterproof, that is important. The display on my Optimus Black met its untimely end in a barrel of syrup (why don't all bee suits have closures on the breast pockets??? The phone still works, but the display does not. I gave it a way and in fact, I promised the friend who received it, I'd buy my a new display on eBay for $12. That is next tonight.

MY Nexus 4 has been wax and honey-proof enough that I can use it in the be yard and it did not suffer when splashed a time or two at sea. Nonetheless, that is definitely something to look for.

As for the features of the Note 4 that Bob loves, I asked a young lady at the Koodo store today about those features since she has that phone, too, and those folks generally have played with all the latest phones. She said the same as Bob did about the stylus, so I asked, do you use Swype? Voice dictation? No, and no. Do you use Google Now? No.

As for the multi-windows and the app changer, she does not use the former and the standard Android app changer works just fine.

At this point, I can't see spending the extra $200 for a boxier device, but my mind is open.
Forum owner/janitor
---