Candy Boards

General Discussion of Diary Posts and Questions on Beekeeping Matters
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Candy Boards

Unread post by Countryboy »

What are your thoughts on candy boards? Are they practical for a sideliner, or are they more for hobbyists?

I ended up picking up over 200 sq ft of hardwood flooring at an estate auction this weekend for $10. It was factory seconds, because there were imperfections in the finish.

I have a part-time helper working for me. I am going into winter with 60 or 70 nucs. I know some of the nucs were smaller late splits, and haven't built up very big and haven't put on enough weight yet. I was thinking along the lines of using the flooring to make candy boards for the nucs. Making candy boards would be a way to give my helper some extra hours, plus it may increase the survival rate of some of my nucs. From my perspective, I have pennies in the lumber, and it doesn't take many surviving nucs to pay for my worker's labor costs.

Has anyone messed with candy boards before? Are they worthwhile, or will they end up being another stack of unused equipment in the pole barn?

I know, people are just going to say to feed the nucs to weight now. My fall feeding of nucs consists of open feeding. I have almost all the nucs in my home yard. I have a deep box with 5 frame feeders sitting on my back deck. I mix up 5 gallons once or twice a day this time of year and put it in the frame feeders. I just use hot tap water and dissolve as much sugar as I can, and never worry about the ratio. Invariably, I end up with nucs that are lighter, and some that are really heavy. I was just looking at candy boards as quick and easy ways to feed lighter nucs.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Candy Boards

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Candy boards are very useful for saving hives that are light in winter and spring. They are probably not ideal for fall feeding.
candy can be made and cast into sheets that are laid under a cloth or plastic like protein patties or cast into boards that seal the hivetop or have entrances as suits the beekeeper.

They are definitely worth having.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Countryboy
Forum Regular

I wasn't planning on using candy boards for fall feeding. I am open feeding my nucs at the home yard. By the looks of the forecast, we only have another week or so of days in the 60's before it starts getting too cold for the bees to take syrup.

Some nucs are already heavy, and some are still pretty light. I was looking at candy boards as a way to give them extra feed for the winter. I have some 2 1/4" flooring that I was going to make boxes with, and then fill the boxes with sugar candy. I can put the lid on top of it and the hive is sealed and the bees have access to the candy.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I would not put the candy on until it is needed. Also, bees will take open feed in cool weather if they really need it. During a cold period, the hives will settle down and maybe not get feeding again, but if you drizzle an ounce or so of the syrup in the top of each on a nice day you'll be amazed at the response.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Countryboy
Forum Regular

I wasn't planning on putting on the candy boards yet.

I haven't even made the candy boards. I did cut some boards and glued and nailed about 15 frames for candy boards today though.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

It is good to have them on hand. The bees don't use a lot until they begin raising brood, but then they can get light really fast.
Forum owner/janitor
---