Bee foster program

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
dtompsett
Forum Regular

Bee foster program

Unread post by dtompsett »

Allen, I know you had a bumblebee nest once before (hive smoker box)... Perhaps you should adopt some?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/20 ... ption.html
A new foster program in Calgary will pair unwanted bee colonies with willing homeowners.

A bee advocacy group has been fielding calls over the past year from concerned urbanites finding bumblebee nests in problem locations, such as under the porch.

Volunteers with the Community Pollinator Foundation are going to try to find new homes for bees in such circumstances.

"It's not a good thing to destroy bumble bee colonies because basically bumblebees are extremely beneficial," said Robin Owen, a professor at Mount Royal University. "The idea is to take these colonies, put them in boxes and move them, hopefully not too far, so other people can look after them."

He is leading a research project connected to the foster program and will collect more information on the habits of Calgary bees. Calgary has more than 20 species of bumblebees, some gentler than others, he said.

"They really won't do you any harm unless you threaten them directly."

Owen blames the decline of bumblebees in recent years mostly on habitat loss and pesticide use.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Bee foster program

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I heard that story. It seeems like agood idea, but Ellen and I have had limited success with adopting them. I think that like honey bees, one has to know quite a bot about them and their habits to be successful in working with them.

I heard a talk by an expert who mentioned that bumblebees ccarry and amazing number of parasites. It is surprising that they survive.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page