Windows 10

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

10AppsManager Uninstalls or Reinstalls Default Windows 10 Apps

Unread post by Allen Dick »

10AppsManager Uninstalls or Reinstalls Default Windows 10 Apps
http://lifehacker.com/10appsmanager-uni ... socialflow
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10

II don't want W10 right now and when i do have to 'upgrade', I imagine that much will have changed, so I blew away the $WINDOWS.~BT and $WINDOWS.~WS folders that Windows 7 surreptitiously downloaded and which were hogging over 7 GB on my small, crowded SSD.

I pasted the commands listed here into an admin CMD window and they worked just fine:
Can I delete $Windows.~BT & $Windows.~WS folders?
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/delete-wi ... windows-10

I have to say I find that action presumptuous and resent their Microsoft having done so. I am just glad they did not do it on my other laptop while I was using cellular data at $10/GB. I've now turned off automatic updates, but word is that M$ is circumventing that safeguard too, now, with an 'update' to Win 7.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Hang on,
I am virtually ready to say Windows 10 is safe to use. I need to write up all that I've done and it will take you the better part of a half a day to set up Windows 10 with reasonably safe privacy. Microsoft could come along and blow all your efforts out of the water with a single update. However for the most part my blue screens of death are gone, and I say that because I haven't seen one in a while..... Doesn't mean they're totally gone.

Unfortunately life is getting in the way of living and doing what I wanted too. I expect that I will have a long-winded posts on Windows 10 in the next week depending on the weather. If the weather is really good I will be looking after bees, if the weather is bad I will be writing how to set up Windows 10.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I suppose that is good news, but is there any compelling reason to change a perfectly functional Windows 7 computer to Windows 10? I can't think of one.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

by Allen Dick » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:15 pm

is there any compelling reason to change a perfectly functional Windows 7 computer to Windows 10?
I can't give you a reason too, but for those people that want to there is a degree of safety.... however slim. I will not be upgrading my main desktop because I believe Microsoft has more underhanded tricks up its sleeve and there is still 10 months to do a free upgrade. I have also applied some of what I've learned from Windows 10 to increase the privacy in Windows 7. I will try to remember when I'm writing this for Windows 10 to note the parts that will work with Windows 7.

While this works now I wouldn't guarantee it'll work a month from now...... because I'm firmly convinced that Microsoft will look after their own interests first and we do not know 100% what their interest is other than $$$ and as I stated earlier a simple upgrade or patch could undo hours of work.

"The game is afoot."
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

is there any compelling reason to change a perfectly functional Windows 7 computer to Windows 10?

I will not be upgrading my main desktop because I believe Microsoft has more underhanded tricks up its sleeve
If you don't want to upgrade to Microsoft's privacy invasions with W10, it appears that Microsoft will update the privacy invasions for you on your old OS.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2978239/ ... storm.html
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

If you don't want to upgrade to Microsoft's privacy invasions with W10, it appears that Microsoft will update the privacy invasions for you on your old OS.
Yes, that fact was previously reported in this thread, but the article you referenced offers specific actions to take to counteract these intrusions if desired. Thanks.

How significant this monitoring is and whether it turns out ultimately to be benign or hazardous to one's safety is difficult to assess at present.

I guess how one assess it depends on one's age (remaining years of life expectancy), level of paranoia -- and degree of trust in the good intentions of multi-national corporations and governments.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Obviously Microsoft is in the mood to do whatever they want which is not overly surprising, I believe they've actually forgotten who actually owns the computer and whose paycheck actually paid for it.

However there are new apps coming out to disable/disconnect from the Microsoft mothership. The best one that I've seen recently is "Destroy Windows 10 Spying, you can read about it here: http://news.softpedia.com/news/destroy- ... 0687.shtml. However if you choose to download it, choose the site: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... pying.html.

I am not sure that softpedia.com is a 100% safe site to download stuff from, where as I am of the opinion that Majorgeeks.com is 100% safe at least I've never had an issue with them.

This application is supposedly able to disable Microsoft's spying in Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Clearly Microsoft has demonstrated that with a simple update they can can reconfigure your computer to send them whenever data they wish. I would not be surprised to see this go back and forth a few more times, however I have been giving the understanding that in "office 2016" they have inserted options to opt out of having office sending Microsoft the usage data. I for one would not trust the settings because regardless of what the label says for the checkbox or button, the code behind the label could say "pretend you're not sending data but do it anyway" This is the exact method of how most machines get infected with various types of malware and Microsoft would just claim it's a bug that they'll fix. This security/privacy issue is looking like it's going to be a moving target for a few more months.

The stuff that I'm seeing from Microsoft has me loading up various distributions of Linux because I think the time has come to separate my personal computer needs from my business computer needs. While Microsoft may have honorable/benign intentions, you read/hear about security breaches with large corporations with increasing frequency and once your information has been released to Internet it's virtually impossible if not impossible to remove it all. I'm sure there has been many sleepless nights from Ashley Madison clients "pun intended" trying to figure out how they can remove their information from hundreds of sites, that downloaded the information from Ashley Madison's recent hack. Let's face it Microsoft's name has never been associated with stellar security practices. I know firsthand that most system administrators are overworked and not given the time to pay close attention to detail, management needs their report before you finish fixing the firewall etc. :x

Sorry I do not wish to sound so paranoid, however unfortunately when it comes to computer security, the security is only as good as the poorest skill set that's allowed to touch it. Meaning 99 geeks working on a project could be 100% perfect and if the 100th geek is only 95% perfect then you have a problem/bug that will be found sooner or later and if your data is not there you don't need to worry about the problem.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

C'mon Charlie, we can trust Enron, Microsoft, Volkswagen... They would never abuse our trust.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

From the comments at http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... pying.html
kevin bennett • 4 days ago
Just FYI but HOSTS blocking DOES NOT WORK with Windows 10, the IP addresses are hardcoded into the OS and so bypasses HOSTS, the ONLY way to block it is by using IP blocking with your router or a hardware firewall.

mallthus -> kevin bennett • 4 days ago
Which is always the solution to these sorts of things. Truth is, for most people, this is a non-issue. If you do have something you'd prefer not to share, block on the router side. That way you're protected regardless of whether you're using Windows, Linux, OSX, or something else.

kevin bennett -> mallthus • 4 days ago
The problem is most home routers? Yeah they don't allow IP blocking, in fact its quite hard to find a sub $100 router that supports blocking by IP address. I have worked with most of the home routers like D-Link, Trendnet, Zonenet, etc and while they will allow blocking of a specific website (www.example.com) they won't allow blocking by IP which considering the addresses in question have multiple subnets makes it useless for blocking Win 10 spying.

This is one of the points I use to counter the "its free you can't complain" shills, if you figure in the cost of the license you are giving up to get Win 10 AND the cost of a new router powerful enough to block over 3000 MSFT spying IP addresses? It is in reality the most expensive version of Windows ever released.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Allen Dick » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:19 pm
Enron, Microsoft, Volkswagen

I trust all these guys and a very long list of other peoples/corporations you didn't mention; I trust them to look out after their own concerns not mine. These corporations don't get to the size they are by being nice guys.

Just saying you can't be disappointed expecting the worst from corporations or big brother.

Tell me, do you believe Mike Duffy? Maybe he should be the next CEO of Microsoft :lol:

Sorry.............. couldn't help myself about last one.
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Allen Dick » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:28 pm
From the comments at http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... pying.html
I cannot believe that I have missed this! The quotes are absolutely correct.

I found on my Windows 7 machine that Microsoft has hardcoded some of their domains into "dnsapi.dll" this would make the hosts file totally useless for any program making a call to "dnsapi.dll". This also makes me wonder what else have they buried in the code that we do not know about.

As I said I trust them to look after themselves, I believe you put the final nail in Microsoft's coffin for my personal computer needs.

Debian https://www.debian.org/ Is the one that I've been most impressed with so far. For day-to-day computer needs and looks really good but I still need to go look at the recovery side of things such as backups, file undelete and a host of other tools that we take for granted in Microsoft's world.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I'm busy, but if you have time, you might like to try the ideas here and let me know what you think.

http://cse.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pu ... 20firewall
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Now that I'm aware of this issue I will certainly look into it. I doubt if I'm going to have much time before early next week as I have commitments for tomorrow and over the weekend.

One of the posters was speculating that this issue may actually go back to XP, I find it unbelievable that with all the good geeks on the planet and hackers that this is just coming too light. Unfortunately I do not have an XP box around to check, not that it matters.

I'm not sure if it's a great idea to use "Windows Firewall" to block access to Microsoft. I have been using "Windows 10 firewall Control" and "Private Firewall" obviously I will need to recheck things with this latest revelation.

This revelation seems to be less than a week old however I predict that the Microsoft spin doctors or or tech writers will be spinning this as the 800 pound gorilla is doing it for our own good for the following various reasons............

Maybe I'm not as paranoid as I think I am.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.”
― Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Unread post by Charlie »

Windows 10: Let the Start menu ads begin
http://www.infoworld.com/article/298632 ... begin.html
A day I've anticipated for quite some time has arrived. Today Microsoft started showing ads in the Start menu of the latest Fast ring version of Windows 10, build 10547.
I must say Microsoft has outdone itself, Windows 10 just keeps getting better and better.

We now know why it's free. I would also strongly argue that the people actually are paying for Windows 10 with screen real estate, time and personal data which in my opinion are all worth more than money. This is like paying cable companies for the privilege of watching commercials. Like a cable company that is double dipping because they want each end to pay for their services. Marketing at its very best.

Ironically this makes privacy issues understandable, they want to know what I'm doing so they can put appropriate ads in front of me, they think people are stupid enough that they will pay $200$US for this next year.

There's no question at this point that my personal desktop will be Linux at some point in the future, if there's any interest I will let people here know what I'm doing and how I'm doing it. I do have a couple of Linux versions running right now in the virtual server environment that look very promising, while the program names change and things work slightly different it is no worse than going from a PC to a Mac.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

I'm interested in what you learn and suggest you start a new thread for your experiences with alternate operating systems

My various and numerous explorations of Linux distros have not convinced me that they offer operating systems that are as versatile or adaptable as Windows, but I keep hoping. Some of them run Windows programs using wine and when I have played with that capability I have been impressed. I have not done much in that regard recently however and most have been run in virtual machines.
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Attempting to answer whether MS is snooping

Attempting to answer whether MS is snooping | Series | Windows Secrets
http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/at ... ng/#story2

--- begin excerpt ---

... Given the heated discussions about Windows telemetry, I sent myself on a quest: Could I determine what information Microsoft gleans from a typical Windows 7 system with the new telemetry updates installed? (I was more interested in the changes in Win7 than what's built into Win10.)

In a classic case of good news/bad news, the answer was no. Presumably stung by the criticisms of Dr. Watson, Microsoft now transmits all diagnostic traffic from PCs to company servers via encrypted, Secure Socket Layer connections.

On a test PC, I tried viewing telemetry connections with the popular networking analysis tool, Wireshark (site). But Microsoft's security measures kept me from making any sense of what was traveling from my machine to Microsoft servers. So I'm still in the dark about what the company is collecting — but then so are potential hackers, I assume.
Backporting Win10 telemetry tools to Win7/8.1

What Microsoft built into Windows 10 from the start, it recently added to our Win7 and Win8.1 systems via a series of updates. (That's caused quite a tizzy in the blogosphere, with most of the "discussions" based on conjecture and hearsay.) For example, optional KBs 3075249, 3080149 and 3068708 give Win7 and Win8.1 data-gathering capabilities similar to Win10's...

Full article is at http://windowssecrets.com/newsletter/at ... ng/#story2
Forum owner/janitor
---
Allen Dick
Site Admin

How to: Turn Off Telemetry in Windows 7, 8, and Windows 10

How to: Turn Off Telemetry in Windows 7, 8, and Windows 10 | Windows 10 content from Windows IT Pro
http://windowsitpro.com/windows-10/how- ... windows-10
Forum owner/janitor
---
Charlie
Forum Regular

Re: Windows 10 Part1

Unread post by Charlie »

All,
Let me preface this with, this will be long-winded and just the first part and you will probably think I’m paranoid; I assure you I’m not paranoid, they really are out to get me :lol: .
This is like my fourth or fifth attempt at writing this particular piece about Windows 10 privacy or lack thereof. Windows 10 privacy is a myth and I’m pretty sure Windows privacy is a myth regardless of the OS! The difficulty that I’ve been having is similar to peeling a rotten onion in the every layer that you peel looking for the pure sweet core, just brings more tears to the eyes. I need to give you an understanding of why people want your computer both good and bad, basically it comes down to money and power.

Here is what I know for sure:
There are only three reasons why anyone would want in your computer without your knowledge which are as follows:
1. Hackers want to control your computer to steal credit card information, which ultimately leads to $$$$
2. Hackers want to control your computer to use it as a slave for sending spam, denial of service another nefarious acts. Again this brings money.
3. Power, this one has many subcategories, as in north of the 51st parallel it would be called bill C 51 which in my opinion effectively turns Canada into a police state where the police can spying on any citizen without a warrant at any time with or without justification. I’m sure South of the border and NSA and homeland security have similar types of power now. More on this later.

As a professional geek of decades, I see more computers in a year than most people will see in a lifetime and I can tell you (and I do not wish to be insulting) that most people are 100% boring and the things they consider secret really are not to secret. This is why the above three reasons is the only three reasons that matter, nobody really cares about the forms you read, the articles you read or for that matter the porn you watch with the possible exception of the police and security agencies. The hackers of the world want to make money off your computer and that is why your computers worth the investment of time and effort. This is why hacking something like Ashley Madison is worth 1000 hours of effort; do not doubt for a minute that those credit card numbers were not compromised months in advance of the actual release of data to the world. I would imagine Ashley Madison is a perfect target/hack, in that the only reason you would be on the site is because you’re cheating on your spouse and if you saw extra charges on your credit card I am just about 100% sure that you would not make a big fuss about it other than you would quietly change your credit card number because you would not want your spouse to find out.

I also need to define the term “Hacker” because the media has a distorted view of what a real hacker is, actually the media has a distorted view of what the real world is. 25 years ago a hacker was defined as a person he knew the system so well they could basically make the system do anything you wanted to do. They would go in and literally “hack the code”on-the-fly to make the system do what you wanted to do. Today we call those people “system administrators”. Today you’re all aware of what the media wants you to believe a hacker is. I can tell you that the media is basically clueless, because the kids that are caught and called hackers, are basically copying code from a real hacker and learning to sharpen their claws. Real hackers don’t get caught because they know how to cover their tracks. Hackers come in two flavors, white hats and black hats. Some of the hackers become security experts and use their skills to protect corporation’s and people at large, some of the hackers end up in organize crime.

Now there is a new group and I don’t wish to call them hackers because they walk around in three-piece suits with ties but 100 years ago they would have been called carpetbaggers and are the J.P. Morgan’s of the world. Apple, Google and Microsoft are among the three biggest today. They use the legal agreements and acceptable use policies to get access to your computer for money, power or both. It is a fact of life.

In my search to find out the extent of this invasion I have come across forms were members claiming to work for the three major companies listed above and more have stated that the government (presumably US) has informally asked coders directly/indirectly to insert back-doors for them. The same people have all said there has never been an official request for any back-doors/spying but they’re doing it. This is how the CEOs can quite honestly say the government has never made a request for backdoors. The long and the short of it is quite simply is; unless you wrote the code yourself you potentially could be at risk.

That is enough background, and should give you an understanding why people want into your computer and to be able to control it, now let’s get into Windows 10.

Everybody knows that when you install Windows 10 that Microsoft has written the install procedures to connect your computer with the mothership. Basically every keystroke and most click ends up at Microsoft. They deny actually looking at the data however logic dictates “if you’re not looking at the data then why are you collecting the data” conversely “your collecting data because you are looking at the data otherwise you would not want to collect it”. Microsoft executives have tried to dismiss this and there are many articles around the fact that they fell short in their explanations. Security experts and privacy groups are up in arms over these practices and I for one have an easier time believing security experts and privacy groups than some suit saying “oh no no no we’re not doing anything wrong ” clearly Microsoft has been caught with their hand is in the cookie jar. In previous parts of this thread there are many things that will help secure your computer or may give you the illusion that your computer is secure. However if you believe the unofficial request for back-doors, then nothing you can do will make your computer secure from the government. In the examples below are examples from Microsoft that we can see, the back-doors you will never see.

For example:
http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/according-to- ... s/45349143
According to new reports, Windows 10 continues to send identifiable data to Microsoft, even if users have turned on all privacy settings New analysis from Ars Technica revealed that some of Windows 10's apps and services will communicate with Microsoft's servers, even if the software's set privacy settings tell them not to
http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... microsoft/
“Even when told not to, Windows 10 just can’t stop talking to Microsoft” “It's no wonder that privacy activists are up in arms.”
http://betanews.com/2015/08/13/windows- ... -settings/
“Windows 10 phones home to Microsoft even if you change privacy settings”
And as previously stated earlier in the thread Microsoft has expanded of these tactics to Windows 7 and the
http://www.infoworld.com/article/297905 ... osoft.html
“Windows 7, 8, and 10: Now all collecting user data for Microsoft”
There are legitimate reasons for Microsoft wanting data about your computer, to fix blue screens of death for example, to find out what type of hardware people are buying because there’s no point in writing device drivers for a video card that nobody’s using. However it is unforgivable to collect data in any way shape or form for any reason when A person has turned everything off. This is a violation of trust that is unbelievable.

In a long-winded email that I’m preparing to send the managers of Microsoft (manager@microsoft.com) contains the following:
  • You’ve hardcoded IP addresses into certain DLLs which further adds to the lack of trust in the equation, this is a tactic that malware and hackers use not a respectable companies.

Whatever trust Microsoft has built up has been eroded in the last two months and your spin doctors won’t get much traction because nobody believes what you’re saying anymore because the trust is gone. Quite frankly your actions speaks louder than words.

In today’s world Microsoft is clearly under the microscope because of these tactics and quite frankly it is asinine to believe that Microsoft has more smarts and brainpower than security experts, privacy experts or for that matter a kid with a network sniffer. When you do not tell the whole truth and the complete truth you come across as liars and spin doctors.

If you’re going to let corporate clients opt out of these privacy issues why not let all clients opt out, is it because you’re afraid that you won’t collect any data and lose the marketing revenue.
The Microsoft spin doctors would have us all believe that Microsoft is the benevolent big brother who is incapable of do anything wrong. When the reality is, with very little “Googling” one can easily find enough smoking guns to convince any logical person they’re lying through their teeth. Google has been caught with their hand in the cookie jar more than once and Apple isn’t any better they’re just better covering it up because Mac users don’t appear to care.