Web page management

Off-topic discussion and public chitchat.
Terry G

Web page management

Unread post by Terry G »

What is the easiest software to use in the creation and maintainence of a web site right now I am playing with Microsoft Front Page, but then I noticed Netscape Composer. What do you recomend :?:
Peter in Manitoba

Unread post by Peter in Manitoba »

Terry,
Have been interested in putting up a web page - but wonder if I would be faithful to it. Nothing worse IMHO that some thing that is dead.

I would also like to read comments on Front Page / Dreamweaver as compared to a composer such as delivered with Netscape.

Regards,
Peter
Terry G

Unread post by Terry G »

I have always thought of creating a Web Site. I finaly sat down today and got one of those free web hosting services to host I site. and I actualy posted something check it out

http://mountainviewhoney.oxso.net/

This is only temporary till I figure out how to create it and figure out what I want to do with it.

After that I will get a proper domain name and hopefully do some "Valueadded" for the honey farm

Allan you'l probably chuckle when you see how pitifull it is compared to your site, but it is a start.

That is why I am asking about the easiest way for us Computer illiterate to do this.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Looks good, Terry. These things develop over time, and before you know it, you'll have a huge site.

As for how to go about the process, there are many ways to go. Free sites with free editing tools are one way, but it is wise to get a domain name as early as possible and, even if you use a free site, point your own URL to it. I used a provider which went downhill, and when I had to change, it took a long time to redirect traffic. People are still looking for me at internode.net/honeybee/.

I rent server space and obtain domain names for people for cheap. $125/year, if that is all I have to do. I charge more if I have to do any design beyond a basic page or two. Domains set up with me come with the full kit of email addresses, and other options. I don't own the name or the site, you do. Anyone can take everything and go somewhere else at any time.

Personally, I use FrontPage. It manages the whole site seamlessly and makes site management as easy as word processing and printing. I've tried pretyy well everything else at one time or another, and they are all good, but this is what I like. The cost is low, when you think about how much I use it, and how much time it saves me.

allen
Allen Dick
Site Admin

FrontPage

I have a copy of the free FrontPage Express editor at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/fpexpress.zip

FrontPage Express used to come free with Windows, and is just an early version of the current editor. The site management software is separate and only available by purchase.

allen
Peter in Manitoba

Unread post by Peter in Manitoba »

Websites: Previous comments still hold for me.
Have developed a system using Netscape composer that points to my CD"s collection with all my digitised data.
The data is listed - when the link is clicked, it asks for the required CD. This placed in the drive then opens up the file.
I suppose that this is a small "web".
The other thing that has stopped me developing a page on the web is the unknown how to get the site up and operating. More important; how to keep the thing upto date and having quick download times.
So many sites on the net download small information quantities taking several minutes. End result - move on before it arrives.
Allen, your site downloads at what I consider a reasonable wait time.
Why the differences?

Peter
Allen Dick
Site Admin

The other thing that has stopped me developing a page on the web is the unknown how to get the site up and operating.
Well, the easy way is that I set it up, get the domain name you want, etc., give you access instructions, and you go from there[/quote]

After that, maintaining the site is a simple as using a word processor, and publishing changes is as simple and transparent as printing a page at home.
More important; how to keep the thing upto date and having quick download times. So many sites on the net download small information quantities taking several minutes. End result - move on before it arrives... Allen, your site downloads at what I consider a reasonable wait time.
Why the differences? .
Well, I work at keeping the picture files small (FP does that, too), and often sacrifice detail and quailty in them, and I don't add stuff like scripts and remote counters or anything that will cause time-outs. And, FP will actually tell me how long my page will take to download over dialup so I can adjust it.

allen
loynn

Re: Web page management

Unread post by loynn »

It really is tough to manage a web page especially if all the tasks are to be handled by a single person. It is already hard to oversee the forums and everything that goes in it including user activity and posting. All the more when you have to maintain the server side and watch over for its security. I guess it is better to get web masters to share the job with you.
armust
Forum Regular

Unread post by armust »

It depends on what you made your web site with, actually.

I mean, there are those web development software that will make monitoring, management and maintenance easy for you on their own interface but there are those which do not offer anymore support when you have already published it.

You must familiarize yourself with the requirements first so you can very well pick what you are going to write it on.
angelina271

Unread post by angelina271 »

I have always used my own software, since I find online site builders to be a little inflexible. (One exception: I have a blog built using WordPress, which has online editing and a wide range of plugins to add features. It's more complicated than most site builders, but learning WordPress is a good skill to know if you are interested in the web business.)