New queen intro - how long to wait to inspect?

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
BDT123
Forum Regular

New queen intro - how long to wait to inspect?

Unread post by BDT123 »

I introduced a new, bred queen to a hopelessly queen less hive on Friday, June 1st.
I checked today just to ensure release, no poking around.
What is the general consensus on when it's 'safe' to check on her progress?
I recall reading a week to 10 days, does that seem reasonable?
Best regards,
Brian.
BadBeeKeeper
Site Admin

Re: New queen intro - how long to wait to inspect?

Unread post by BadBeeKeeper »

Sounds about right to me.
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

It depends.

What was your method of introducing the new queen? Direct release, candy cage, push-in cage?

How hopelessly queenless were they? Hopefully not to the point of laying workers...

How strong is the hive?

If using candy release, I will check in 2-3 days to make sure the queen has been released from the cage and to remove the cage. If she has not been released by then, I will open the cage to direct release her.

I don't direct release unless the queen has been in the hive for 2-3 days to make sure the bees are used to her.

If someone has concerns about introducing a queen, I encourage them to introduce the queen into a weak hive or a small nuc. Then after the queen is laying in the nuc, simply insert the nuc frames into the hive you want requeened. The queen is surrounded by bees that accept her and will protect her.

If you are trying to requeen a laying worker hive, don't bother. But if you insist, use a cell or direct release a virgin into the hive after smoking it heavily. And if you really insist on requeening with a mated queen, put in a frame of open brood a week before (so the pheromones help shut down the laying workers) and knock down the cells they are starting and then candy release the new mated queen. (or requeen with a nuc with a laying queen.)
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Country, introduced in a candy cage. No laying workers. I had given them a frame of of eggs and brood a week prior. No queen cells but brood capped after a week. No sense they were queen less, apparently.
Hive was a package from May 11th so clock is ticking. Maybe 4 -5,000 bees total, decreasing. Brood emerging from donated frame.
No eggs or larvae , so no laying worker.
Not a laying worker hive.
Just want to know when its OK to dig in to the hive and see if queen is performing her magic.
One week, 10 days, whatever?
Best regards,
Brian
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Unread post by Countryboy »

Whenever you feel like lighting the smoker and digging in.

In my experience, mated queens are usually laying within 2 days after they are released. It takes another 4 days for eggs to hatch.

If you have a hard time seeing eggs, wait a week+ and look for larvae. If you can see eggs ok, give the queen 3 days after release to start laying.

I'm not one of those beekeepers who lose sleep worrying they might do something wrong and cause the bees to reject the queen or something. Maybe checking on the queen when you feel like it isn't optimal, but IMO it's not enough less than optimal to lose sleep over.

Just don't roll the queen when you dig into the hive.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

All good, lots of eggs and new larvae. No issues with queen acceptance. Saw her scampering across empty comb.