Commencing Spring Feeding

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Re: Commencing Spring Feeding

Unread post by Countryboy »

I spoke a little bit too soon. I said to give it a week or two before dandelion bloom, and that drones are normally at purple eye stage around April 8.

I was finding hives with several drones that have recently emerged.

It got up to 70 today. I saw a field that was pretty yellow from dandelions, and several yards that have quite a few dandelions. It's supposed to be in the high 60's and 70 Sunday and the first part of next week. I'll be seeing tons of dandelions.

I had one yard that the hives built up really nice. I had a couple hives I had to open up the broodnest with empty combs because they were already trying to plug it out with honey. The broodnests were heavy.

I was seeing combs that half the comb was solid pollen of varying colors.

They are calling for an inch of snow on Friday. I know it sounds weird, and beginners don't believe me when I tell them, but they need to be supering up hives right now. The snow won't stick around. 68 on Sunday, 73 on Monday, 67 on Tuesday, and we have a heavy nectar flow going on right now.

I was also surprised how many alfalfa leafcutters were working my pear tree this morning. A few honeybees, but the leafcutters were like a cloud.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
cgybees
Forum Regular

Unread post by cgybees »

I knew there was a reason I keep coming back here. Always something learned...
Countryboy
Forum Regular

I had my first swarm on April 18. I found it in the evening right before dark. I set a nuc box with 5 frames right against the swarm. Yesterday morning, the swarm had moved into the nuc, and the nuc was pretty well full of bees. This morning, I transferred the swarm into a regular hive and supered it. 3 or 4 frames were half full of nectar, which gives you an idea just how fast bees can collect nectar, and what kind of flow we are having right now. My pear tree is done blooming. Apple trees are still blooming, and dandelions are in full bloom.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Countryboy
Forum Regular

I had 2 swarms move into stacks of equipment today.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

Lucky you. Saves a lot of work. They do your splitting for you.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

No swarming here yet! They'd have to shovel their way out ! Yikes, sugar bill is going up!
Brian
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Allen Dick wrote: April 25th, 2017, 8:23 pm Lucky you. Saves a lot of work. They do your splitting for you.
I still prefer to split the hives instead of having them swarm. Too easy for them to fly away.

To be honest, I don't know if these swarms are from my hives or from somewhere else. The hives that are there were overwintered as a single deep brood chamber, with 3 shallow honey supers placed underneath.

On 4/12, I removed an outside comb, and placed a foundationless frame in the center of the broodnest. I put the single deep brood box on the bottom board, placed an excluder on it, and then put the 3 shallow supers above the excluder. I did not see swarm cells in any of the hives, but I did not remove every frame and look at them. (I did look at the bottom bars.) On 4/18 I found a swarm 100 yards away from my hives. On 4/25 I had a swarm move into a deadout 25 yards from my hives, and I had another swarm move into a stack of brood boxes right inside the pole barn 100 yards from the hives.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

Good catchin' CB! Hope your luck continues!
Countryboy
Forum Regular

I got another swarm today.

I was doing some never-ending yard work about 11:00 or 11:30 and I saw a swarm in the air over by my hives. They flew over and moved into a stack of boxes 50 yards away.

God only knows how many swarms I am losing in outyards. It appears our swarm season is 2 weeks or so early, which means I am late in splitting strong hives.

Better to have too many bees than not enough.

While everyone hates to see swarms fly away, at least it is really early in the season, and hives that swarm still have time to rebuild and make a honey crop.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
BDT123
Forum Regular

Unread post by BDT123 »

CB, do you normally use swarm traps? For a part of the year?
Or count on luck and they land in your vacant equipment?
What I'm getting at is, is swarm catching part of your business plan?
Just interested. Not enough bees in my area to make me think it's worthwhile for me.