Honey extractors

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
Pepper21
Forum Regular

Honey extractors

Unread post by Pepper21 »

Just wondering if anyone knows which extractor is the better one. We currently have a stainless steel hand cranker that only holds 2 frames, which was great when we only had a few frames. There are so many kinds and quite the range of price as well. So just wonder which ones everyone has found to work the best?
Countryboy
Forum Regular

Re: Honey extractors

Unread post by Countryboy »

How many hives are you running? And how much honey are you producing? Are you planning on running more hives in the future, or are you going to keep your operation at the current size? Buy an extractor that will be able to handle your operation 5 years from now. (If you buy an extractor for your present needs, and then you expand, you are going to have to turn around and replace it in a few years. It's better if you can buy a bigger extractor now and then grow into it if you can afford it.)

When I had a handful of hives, my 3 frame extractor worked fine. I now have about 100 hives, and I have a Mann Lake 9/18 motorized extractor, which in all honesty, is too small for what I need, but extractors larger than that need to be in a fixed location. I have a 38X50 garage that I am fixing up and will eventually be my woodworking shop and honey house. Once I get that project completed, I plan on buying a larger extractor.

I helped a commercial beekeeper in 2010. When his parents started the operation, they used a 4 frame hand crank extractor to extract honey in their house. His mom finally made his dad build a honey house in the barn (and they got a bigger extractor) after the year they extracted 10,000 pounds in the house.

Maxant's equipment is good quality. With that said, I do own Mann Lake's 9/18 extractor. It was $1000 when I bought it. It's a cheap extractor, and you get what you pay for. I bought it with the expectation that it would be a stepping stone extractor to use for a few years and I would replace it with something nicer and bigger on down the road. Maxant's equipment will probably last your lifetime. I do not expect the Mann Lake 9/18 extractor to last a lifetime.

What are your needs? What are your goals? What can your budget afford? Just because an extractor works for me and my goals and my operation does not mean it is the right extractor for you.
B. Farmer Honey
Central Ohio
Pepper21
Forum Regular

Re: Honey extractors

Unread post by Pepper21 »

Thanks country boy for the ideas there are so many brands was wondering which was better. Will for sure check out the maxant and Mann company's.
Wow 10 000 pounds with a hand cranker! We don't have that many hives only 8 just started a couple of years ago, but we are hoping to keep increasing.
So yes it is probably a good idea to get one that would work for when we do have a lot more. Budget well that is like what you said you get what you pay for, so sometimes in the long run its cheaper to go big.