Honey supers

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
Jiminycric
Forum Regular

Honey supers

Unread post by Jiminycric »

Trying to find out when and how many honey supers need to be put on... A lot of material does not include the details on this. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm in southern Alberta, in Strathmore. I am figuring that my hive will be ready here in the next week or so for the honey supers.

Thanks,

Jiminycric
- Jiminycric
Strathmore, Alberta
Biermann
Forum Regular

Re: Honey supers

Unread post by Biermann »

Hello Jim,
I guess it has more to do with your hive strength then time of year. You should have two full brood boxes in order to add a honey super, simply because the additional super needs to be heated, too. On top, you need a strong nectar flow, probably not happening in Strathmore before mid to late June, even this year.

I got an established hive on May 28th last year, gave 3kg syrup (2+1) every 6-8 days and installed the first honey super on to two full brood boxes June 19th, the second went on June 26th. I guess little harm will be done doing it now, but if your two brood chambers are not full with busy bees, the third box want do you much good.

Do it one at the time, min. 6 drawn frames and 2 new if you have to, place the new frames in the center, than the bees are more willing to draw comb in the nice warm center than on the outside walls.

I am new to this too and have & had thousand questions, but have learned to do things in small steps. When it is warm, June, July & August the bees can tolerate a lot, but now with our silly weather, I am slow and dragging my heals, beside feeding and they take 3kg syrup now in 2 days.

Cheers, Joerg
Jiminycric
Forum Regular

Re: Honey supers

Unread post by Jiminycric »

Thanks Joerg,

My hive has a lot of work ahead of them here this year, and will have to draw out all the frames on the honey super when I put it on.
I have tried to keep up with a sugar syrup since I picked up my package in April. They still had a bit this past weekend, and added a couple pollen patties to it as well. So far their numbers have grown quite rapidly, and have a bit of capped honey on the upper brood box - both outer frames are full of syrup (at least I am assuming it's the syrup with no capping yet).

I do appreciate the response as this seems to be a bit of 'grey' area in reading material.

Thanks!

Jiminycric
- Jiminycric
Strathmore, Alberta