Mould

A place for bee-ginners to ask questions and receive answers from experienced beekeepers.
stephen
Forum Regular

Mould

Unread post by stephen »

I started my spring cleaning today and discovered some of the hives have a bad case of mould, white furry and the wood has turned black, I guess the ventilation was a problem. Not sure how to correct this for next winter? i have scraped this off as best as possible can I reuse these? These hives are weaker than the others that seemed to escape the problem by luck? In each one that has the problem it is the back of the hives and each frame mostly the bottom box. Single bee cozy was used not the Quad wrap. Outer lids were left off as instructed with double insulation on and under the inner lid.
Vance G
Forum Regular
Location: Latitude: 47°30′13″N Longitude: 111°17′11″W Great Falls Montana

Re: Mould

Unread post by Vance G »

It would think that an earlier spring cleaning of the bottom board might have corrected this. I am guessing that the bottom board was partly plugged with the winters dead and debris. I don't like to clean mine too early but I usually take some fresh ones and change out the winter cruddy bottoms and thoroughly dry and pour some bleach on them. A hint I picked up from one of Brother Adams books. But that is only if I think to bring clean dry ones with me that day:<}
stephen
Forum Regular

Unread post by stephen »

Thanks Vance, funny thing 17 March I did take the mouse gaurds off and with a long screwdriver sweeped the dead out and still had the mould problems, I must be wrapping wrong? The hives are on a good incline for drainage. I did use a newer bottom board cleaned all the tops and bottoms of frames. But I am concerned about the blackness, I did however like mentioned cleaned as best I could and replaced the box and frames back on the hives, hope this is not wrong, any idea why iam getting mould in the first place?
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

AFAIK, mould is not an issue for bees unless there is a great deal of it. I see it sometimes on the top bars of the frames in the top box under the pillow. Haven't seen any lately, though.

Sounds as if your weaker hives did not generate enough heat to circulate out the moisture, and you don't mention upper entrances.

Your profile does not give a location, so I cannot comment further.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page
stephen
Forum Regular

Unread post by stephen »

Thanks for easing my mind Allen, FTR Wainwright Alberta Area. I have the inner lid opening only, a single wrap that covers both brood boxes and I leave the mouse gaurd on. Reading your blog, maybe it's the entrance reducer I leave in place, I read you only put in on at this time of year, I left them on all winter. on another note I recieved my queens on Thursday, how long can I keep them in the cupboard, I was going to place them today but it got windy and rained. I will update you location.
Allen Dick
Site Admin

Unread post by Allen Dick »

I recieved my queens on Thursday, how long can I keep them in the cupboard, I was going to place them today but it got windy and rained.
That happens. Of course the sooner you can get them to work, the better for everyone, but weather is weather and we all find that as soon as our queens arrive, it gets windy or rainy or snows, so we do what we can. I've kept them up to two weeks as far as I can recall. I have posted about that in my diary at various times over the years, with pictures.

Mine came Thursday and it is Sunday now. I still have five that will go in tomorrow morning -- or maybe tonight if I feel ambitious.

If you feel they are being held too long, just make up a three frame nuc with standard frames, a small patch of emerging brood, plus some nurse bees and install the queen in it. Place it to one side so the flying bees will be gone home and reduce the entrance to one bee width. These three frames can be dropped into full hives later without any effort beyond pulling three middle frames from the recipient hive and dropping in the three from the nuc -- in the same order.
Allen Dick, RR#1 Swalwell, Alberta, Canada T0M 1Y0
51° 33'39.64"N 113°18'52.45"W
http://www.honeybeeworld.com/Allen%27s%20Beehives.kmz
Forum owner/janitor
---
Customise your experience at Honeybeeworld Forum at your User control Panel
Change the appearance and layout with your Board Preferences
Please upload your own avatar picture at Edit Avatar. It's easy!
Return to main diary page